Rear seating for Sportsroof

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarrior

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sportroof, original V8 gage a/c 3spd car that was very unloved

1971 convertible purchased from original owner
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a new upholstery set for my 1971 Sportsroof. However, I'm need of some info.

In regards to my poor 1971 Sportsroof back seat area. All of the seat, trim, and supporting sheet metal was removed before I got the car. Metal parts were totally hacked out. I think mine did not have a folding seat, but I'm not sure.

I parted out a coupe and installed supporting sheet metal, rear seat and trim into the car to have it look more finished. I have since found the correct sheet metal structure from a non-folding seat car and am preparing to install it. I know that a Sportsroof has a different back seat, however, if I am able to find the correct Sportsroof side and rear trim, will the coupe back seat I already have fit between the side panels?

I'm looking into getting repro seat covers and want to buy a front/rear set, but if the coupe rear seat won't fit between the <eventual> Sportsroof side panels, I need an upholstery set for a SR and not a coupe, as well as a decent core SR rear seat. If the coupe parts will fit between, I buy a coupe upholstery set and go on. Does anyone have any idea if the coupe seat will fit?

Thank you for any input, knowledge, or experience.

Tom

Nothing involving the back seat of a coupe and sportsroof interchanges. Seat frames, side panels, sheet metal and all trim parts are completely different. The coupe seat is much wider. Keep in mind that the sportsroof rear seat design was dictated by the roof height and fold down option.

One real "issue" I can see between the two is the angle of the side panels at the quarter windows. You could, in theory, install a coupe framework and modify the parts to fit, which would give you a somewhat "usable' rear seat as long as the occupants are short.

Hello Hemikiller,
Sorry for the delay in replying, I appreciate the insight.

I figured I was not going to be that lucky, nothing's easy on these when you are missing parts. I'll move forward and order the Sportsroof upholstery kit, get the front seats redone, and find the back seat frames/assemblies needed for later. Just another part to buy, right?

Thank you again,
Tom

Back