Rear suspension "mini project"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Well, after a bumpy start, the rear suspension mini project is underway. I'll post a few "before" pics now. We've got the driver's side leaf springs replaced but I forgot to take pics, so they'll be up soon.

Left rear susp before.JPG

Here's the other side.

Right rear susp before.JPG

The rear diff is on the project list, along with new gears as some point.

Leaky rear diff  waiting for its turn.JPG

Next on the list, though, is pulling and rebuilding the heads, and bolting on some induction and exhaust performance enhancements.

I really liked the rake (although too radical) while the 'vert was on the lift. I talked to the shop teacher, and we might put the new leaf springs into the press and bend them a bit, after we see how she looks with the new rear suspension parts.

Radical rake on the lift.JPG

Should have the rear suspension finished in a few days, then on to the motor (finally)!

Doc

If you're gonna leave that much rake, you should tub it and fill the voids with some 33x18.00 Mickey Thompson Sportsmans wrapped around some 15x12 Centerlines. LOL!!

Can't wait to see the new pics up under there.

that rear should settle down a little once on the road.

looks like your pumpkins got a little leak ;P

good progress keep it up.

If you're gonna leave that much rake, you should tub it and fill the voids with some 33x18.00 Mickey Thompson Sportsmans wrapped around some 15x12 Centerlines. LOL!!

Can't wait to see the new pics up under there.
I'd love to squeeze some Mickey T's and Centerlines in there. The wife says we have to make our mortgage payment instead. :D

Doc

that rear should settle down a little once on the road.

looks like your pumpkins got a little leak ;P

good progress keep it up.
Thanks. Ya, I'm gonna have to tear into the pumpkin after I do some motor work. I need to start asking around for 3.23 gears, and get a plan together. More to come...

Doc

Step right up, ladies and gentlemen, and take a look at some amazing pictures of .....

Left rear leaf spring after.JPG

That's right, new rear leaf springs. Incredible, or what?

Right rear leaf spring progress.JPG

The hardest part was pulling the top leaf spring rubber bushing out. It had turned into rubbermetal and was rubberwelded into the socket that holds the bushing. Finally got it out with a hammer, vise-grip, two small pry bars and half a can of penetrating oil. Still have most of my sanity left. :)

Anyway, progress. Shocks are next, and we'll call 'er good to go.

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I got her home just in time for the rain to start. I am going to get some 0 - 60 times in today if it kills me. They predict a high of 42 tomorrow, with a low of 17, so time to get her in the garage and pull the heads.

Forgot to take pics again, so just imagine bright black shiny leaf springs and gleaming shocks under it. I'm glad that this miini-project is finally done so I can actually do something that will MAKE THIS BABY GO FAST!

I've owned her for a whole 3 months now, and if you can't tell, I'm chomping at the bit. Can't wait until Spring gets here. :)

Doc

If you look at the first pic above, then squint really hard while looking at the second pic, you can almost see it. ;)

Glad to hear you got it all back together, Doc. Have fun with the heads!

I came across the same problem with the leaf springs. That front bolt just did not want to come out. The angle grinder and two metal cutting discs later, it was out. Then it was off to the differential. Darn that thing is heavy. DSC06502.JPG

Now my back end is starting to look a bit naked. It's off to the yanking and grinding stage. DSC06530.JPG

Okay, up to know my ATDS (Attention To Detail Syndrome) has treated me pretty well. That was until I pull both of the rear shock plates out of the bags that I had them in and labeled so well drivers side and passengers side. Due to the stagered shock arrangement, they are labeled R and LS. Can I assume that LS is the Driver's side?

DSC06531.JPG

Latest posts

Back