Rear Suspension Staggered Shocks Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
In the process of installing my new leaf springs and CalTracs. My car did not come with competition suspension/staggered rear shocks. The plates that come with the CalTracs are set up for either. See pics below. Is there anything other than the correct plate involved in setting up staggered shocks? Can I just hook the drivers side shock up to the rearward mounting on the bracket? Is it that simple? Any help on this appreciated.

what is the symbol for sulfate

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering that. Is the upper plate something that can be added? Does anyone have an upper plate they want to part with?
It's a formed piece of sheet metal that's welded to the bottom of the floor. There is also an oblong opening in the floor with a rubber cap so you can access the top nut, but that might be in all cars. You would have to find a car being parted out that had it and cut it out to obtain the correct piece.

Steve

Here is picture under one of my cars with Comp. Susp. You could add but would be a pain for sure. Mustang junk yard in N.C. probably had car in his yard.

I put the helper springs on the shocks the week I got the car they sat low in the rear when brand new. That is the original exhaust system on that car.

Thanks for the pics David. Helps out a lot.
Jason, I have a couple of Q code Mach 1 I will be parting out

I will have the staggard shock set up

Also are you still looking for OE tooling twist locks

So . . . Why do you want staggered shocks with the Cal Tracs? I converted my car to standard shocks when I added my Cal Tracs as they now are the manner in which I control my launch, not the staggered shock set up. Also the conversion to standard shocks opened up room for a 3" over axle exhaust to fit. I believe staggered shocks would fight the cal trac bars.

Back