Rear tire size

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok gonna try this one more time. Does anyone out there know what is the widest rear tire that will fit under a 1971 with rear disc brakes and no mods to the wheel wells? Wanting to run a 9.5-10 inch wide wheel.

CoupeR%20GT%20Wheels.jpg

couper%20wheel%20black.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using a 10" wheel with standard back spacing BUT I have flared fenders on my '73 Mach I.

I understand it (larger wheels and tires) can be done with custom back spacing. I don't know what wheel you intend to use but Vintage Wheelworks supposedly offer a 17 X 9.5 "Vintage 45" wheel with a 5 1/2 inch backspace and a 275/40R17 that is allegedly a nice fit.

Since each car is different, I would suggest you contact the wheel manufacturer that you intend to use for their input.

Hope this helps.

BT

I have 17x9.50 torque thrust II, with yokohama 255/40ZR17. The tires are a little more "lo-profile" than I really perfer but I bought them back in high school when I was a dips**t, well maybe I still am. Ha

Without changing anything I also run a 28X12.50 M/T slick with zero rubbing issues. I do use the same wheel spacer on both sets of wheels i think its 1/4 or 3/8 thick.

I do have "Grab a track" rear leaf springs that have a 1.5'' drop over factory.

So if you have stock rear springs you should have a little more room than me. I have about 2'' from tread to fender I cant remember the backspacing off the top of my head, id probobly have to measure...There are a few more pics i my gallery.

Fenderview.jpg

wheelrear.jpg

wheelwell.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to buy one of those wheel selector tools that you bolt on and spin for clearance. Looks kinda cheesey but if it works and saves me from ordering wheels that dont fit I'm good with it.

Well ordered that cheesey tool today. Who knows it might be the best thing since sliced bread. We will see in a few days.
Please let us know what you think of it. Sometime during the next decade I hope to by tires and wheels, and I'll be interested in figuring out rear wheel capacity.

Doc

Latest posts

Back