Rear wheel update

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sooo, I threw a 22' from my Charger on the back of my Mustang.Yeah, a quick try shows they will fit on the back but in my opinion they are too big unless you can really bury them into the wheelwell. Even then, I think the car looks cartoonish or dare I say "donkish".

As for the front, unless you want to really sink the wheel into the wheelwell, in both ride height and track width, an 18" wheel will probably allow you a wider stance with way less clearance issues while turning. I would tend to agree that an 18" in the front would be optimal and personal taste would dictate if you choose to go 20" on the rear. Here are some pics.

Murstang :::::: Thanks for taking the time out of your day to mount those 22's... You are correct about the donk look. Not the look for a mustang. I guess 20x10rear and 18x8front is going to be the choice of purchase.. Hey MURSTANG since the 18x8 are smaller then your 20's on the front would i have to still lower the car to get the look of your mustang meaning how the front wheels look tucked.....

A 10" wide wheel in the front will be a challenge. I have an 18X9 and just barely clear the upper ball joint. I had to roll up the fender lip to get it to clear the tire at full steering lock.
Jeff after rolling the fenders did you encounter other issues ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the tire hitting the frame rail at full lock. It only happens in parking lots and pulling out of driveways. I'm running a 245-40-18 on the 9" wheel.
So a 18x8 front rim should be good ??? I was hoping that if I went

with the 18x8 front rim i wouldnt need to lower the car to get the wheel looking tucked up under the front fenders ???????

with the 18x8 front rim i wouldnt need to lower the car to get the wheel looking tucked up under the front fenders ???????
For my taste yes. It will sit too high when it´s not lowered. That´s the downside of big rims: No sidewalls. So it needs to be lowered to look good. That´s just my opinion.

For my taste yes. It will sit too high when it´s not lowered. That´s the downside of big rims: No sidewalls. So it needs to be lowered to look good. That´s just my opinion.
luxstang >>> Insight every helpful.. Once wheels are mounted i will see how it sits to determine how much to lower .....

Getting ready for wheel/tire up grade... Went into the garage and checked all the fluids before cranking (car been sitting a while in the garage. While inspecting came across a small power steering leak maybe a old hose/clamp. So before all is done am gonna just replace all the hoses/clamp etc....

Super dusty both interior and exterior so everything is gonna be detailed and checked over twice. After seeing this car just sit in the garage i would like to pull it out this SRING... Just have to wait for wheel/tires to arrive. So in the mean time complete engine inspection and tranny. Followed by complete interior detail Interior is in superb condtion I may just replace the carpet since interior is very dusty..

then hopefully wheel/tires should have arrived... STAY TUNE...

big.jpg

bigger.jpg

X2 on what Mike said, lowering is a must. It can be done for minimal investment.

X2 on what Mike said, lowering is a must. It can be done for minimal investment.
Thanks... lowering the car shall be done. Once everything is said and done. Honestly I'am uncertain if I want a 18x8 in the front or 20x8.

I know am going to run 20x10 in the rear...

Thanks... lowering the car shall be done. Once everything is said and done. Honestly I'am uncertain if I want a 18x8 in the front or 20x8.

I think 20's up front might look too big. There are a few cars here with a larger rim in the back than the front, they look pretty good.

I think 20's up front might look too big. There are a few cars here with a larger rim in the back than the front, they look pretty good.
So a 18x8 on the front is the better combo with 20x10 on the rear

It's all about personal opinion really. I just think 20's on the front look too big. If you like the way 20's look on the front, I say go for it.

It's all about personal opinion really. I just think 20's on the front look too big. If you like the way 20's look on the front, I say go for it.
You right...... Am going to have to make up my freaken mind..

with choosing my wheel/tire combo. Thanks for the insight. Oh by the way nice video's .

You are right on that! It is your choice and the only person you need to please is you, and maybe your family!

With an 8" rim on the front it allows a little more breathing room on the backspacing.
DROPTOP73..... Thanks for the information... 18x8 is gonna be the wheel of choice up front 20x10 on the rear lower it a little and the mustang should look as good as it runs.

73Mustang_ProTouring_05.jpg

That purple car is actually the reason why I suggested I liked the 18's on the front. I've seen it before, something to note though, that car is on airbags, and normally doesn't drive that low to the ground.

The only issue I have with staggered rim size is having less sidewall on the rear than the front. The photo shown is real close but is visually shorter... at least to me.
droptop73 .... You mentioned that on the back of your mustang. You have less sidewall. I was going to run 255/35/20 on the rear. In your opinion can i go a lilttle bigger on the rear as for the tire's ??.

That purple car is actually the reason why I suggested I liked the 18's on the front. I've seen it before, something to note though, that car is on airbags, and normally doesn't drive that low to the ground.
Windowmaker00...... How funny that this same photo motivated you and I to do wheel upgrade. I am just going to lower it a bit to get the stance i want....

73Mustang_ProTouring_06.jpg

I have the same rim diameter and a taller sidewall on the rear. I was talking about the purple car.

I have a 285/40/18 on the rear of my car. The car could handle a bit more width.
droptop73.. More width as in tire size ???

Latest posts

Back