Removable Front License plate

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even so, the New Hampshire front plate suits it far too well. It's staying:

-Kurt
Swanky! Here's my Virginny plates.

cb3uHJS.jpg

Very sharp.

Incidentally, have you considered spraying the honeycomb panel a dark flat black? There is a wonderful theme going on between the creme of the body and the black valance, gas cap, taillamps, license plate lettering and convertible top.

Tying it all together with a jet black valance would look stunning (not that it doesn't already).

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sharp.

Incidentally, have you considered spraying the honeycomb panel a dark flat black? There is a wonderful theme going on between the creme of the body and the black valance, gas cap, taillamps, license plate lettering and convertible top.

Tying it all together with a jet black valance would look stunning (not that it doesn't already).

-Kurt
Yeah, I have, actually. I'm planning to pull it and the front grill and repaint when it warms up a bit. I've been trying to clean up some of the crud under the hood a bit at a time, and I need to take care of the cowl seal and cowl vent grilles too, so maybe when I do all that.

I'm out of luck on the VA YOM tags. In 1973 they converted to stickers and those do not qualify as YOM - just way out of date dead tags. The tags had to be stamped with the date to qualify for YOM use.

I'm out of luck on the VA YOM tags. In 1973 they converted to stickers and those do not qualify as YOM - just way out of date dead tags. The tags had to be stamped with the date to qualify for YOM use.
That really sucks, man. Well, there's always this:

horse.jpg

I live in cali and it is a front plate state also. But i still take mine off. They dont really mess with me since its a classic, they go after them imports. But sometimes i still display my plate but on the window. Didnt say where it at to be muahahaha

aa9845.jpg

nv75oo.jpg

I bought the car to match the plates.:D

That looks soooo cool!! :cool:

Unfortunately in my country it's pretty simple: you need the front plate and it needs to be the same as the rear one, so you're pretty much stuck.

No displaying behind the windshield either.

Only difference for classic cars is that if the car was first registered before 1977 you can have black plates with white lettering instead of the present yellow ones with black lettering.

That is because the black ones were standard until 1977 when the yellow ones came about.

No vanity plates either. You have to stick to either 5 digits or 2 letters and 4 digits. (Mine has only 3 digits behind the letters because it was issued before they "upgraded" to 4 digits a few years ago. )

If you can work your way within these confines you can get a "so-so" vanity plate like I have my date of birth on my daily.

Or if I decided to buy the 69 r-code I could ask for "CJ 0428".

Or a friend has "RT 440" on his 69 charger.

I'd love to display a California or Texas plate (or any US plate for that matter) under the cars front bumper but I'm not allowed to. >:-(

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks soooo cool!! :cool:
Yeah it does! Nice!

Unfortunately in my country it's pretty simple: you need the front plate and it needs to be the same as the rear one, so you're pretty much stuck.

No displaying behind the windshield either.

Only difference for classic cars is that if the car was first registered before 1977 you can have black plates with white lettering instead of the present yellow ones with black lettering.

That is because the black ones were standard until 1977 when the yellow ones came about.

No vanity plates either. You have to stick to either 5 digits or 2 letters and 4 digits. (Mine has only 3 digits behind the letters because it was issued before they "upgraded" to 4 digits a few years ago. )
In the states the license plate issuing is done by the individual states so they've really increased the amount of vanity and specialty license plates in recent years as a way of generating revenue.

In VA, you can register anything more than 25 model years old as an "Antique." Antique plates let you skip a great deal of the safety inspections, but there are strict rules about the purposes for which a car with an Antique registration can be driven (basically, you can drive it to shows or for maintenance purposes). If you have a car prior to 1973, you can register it with vintage plates which, up until then, had the year of issue stamped on them. If you register as a normal vehicle, you have to be able to pass all of the usual safety inspections although you are exempt from passing emissions inspections.

It can get pretty complicated. As for color matching with vintage plates, up until '73, Virginia alternated between issuing white plates with black lettering on odd-numbered years and black plates with white lettering on even-numbered years (undoubtedly to make it easy to see who hadn't renewed their plate).

Fortunately our cars do not look bad with a front tag. it is low, centered, and matches the lines of the car.

We have a 2003 Cobra with no good option for mounting a front tag. We made a copy of the tag on bumper sticker material and just stuck it on the car. Looks very clean and passes the glance test from an officer driving toward us. We have the real tag in the seat pocket just in case.

No criminal intent so we should be OK if questioned.

- Paul

Fortunately our cars do not look bad with a front tag. it is low, centered, and matches the lines of the car.

We have a 2003 Cobra with no good option for mounting a front tag. We made a copy of the tag on bumper sticker material and just stuck it on the car. Looks very clean and passes the glance test from an officer driving toward us. We have the real tag in the seat pocket just in case.

- Paul
Paul,

I am not a lawyer, but a quick read of http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/61/3/61-3-301.htm tells me that an LEO, should he or she be so inclined, could ticket you for that setup. Not saying the average LEO on an average day _would_ do so. But definitely could. The problem is that while what you're doing isn't specifically verboten under the law in question, you aren't doing something that is specifically required. Sucks, I know.

- Paul
Paul,

I am not a lawyer, but a quick read of http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/61/3/61-3-301.htm tells me that an LEO, should he or she be so inclined, could ticket you for that setup. Not saying the average LEO on an average day _would_ do so. But definitely could. The problem is that while what you're doing isn't specifically verboten under the law in question, you aren't doing something that is specifically required. Sucks, I know.
Missouri has similar codes but 5 years out and no issues even when I got pulled over 2 times.

Recently we renewed our tags and I did not get around to printing a new front tag - my wife got pulled over and was issued a "fix it" ticket. I got yelled at by my wife.

I think they expect a younger person driving the Cobra instead of us middle aged (if we live to 110) foggies.

Got pulled over in 2003 for doing 156 in a 60 and got cut loose. The Deputy told me he did not feel like arresting me and I should go home. He did not even write me up for something less. He asked me what I was thinking and I told him that I picked a time and place that the only idiot I would kill would be myself. Always be respectful to Law Enforcement!

- Paul

Back