Remove house paint from car?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumbloki

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
My son rubbed his door on his 2012 Mustang going into the garage. What is the best way to remove the house paint without causing damage to his car?

Thanks

A good paint and body shop will remove it safely for very little or no cost in my case. The shop guy used some type of compound to rub it right off, no charge,just asked that I keep them in mind if I ever need paint or body work.

I had tried polishing compound with little results, wasn't brave enough to try Goof Off on my paint, who know maybe that's what the shop guy used.

A good paint and body shop will remove it safely for very little or no cost in my case. The shop guy used some type of compound to rub it right off, no charge,just asked that I keep them in mind if I ever need paint or body work.

I had tried polishing compound with little results, wasn't brave enough to try Goof Off on my paint, who know maybe that's what the shop guy used.
I actually used a clay bar on my daughters car when she did the same thing. Took the paint right off the clearcoat and looked like new. I have a McGuires (Sp) Clay Bar kit from the autoparts store.

Clay bar, Meguiar's Scratch X, or fine microfinishing compound.

Would NOT try Goof Off. Use Goo Gone.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi There,

Removing the house paint is easy. What you don't know is whether your car's paint has been scratched underneath the house paint laydown.

Use any brand of 2 Pack rubbing compound preferably, or try a clay block, or if it's 2 Pack clear or solid paint, a little wipe over with GP thinners will quickly dissolve the house paint, and won't hurt the 2 Pack paint on your car.

Once removed, verify if your paint has been scratched or not. If not, great, if yes, you will have to check to see if the scratches have penetrated the clear coat and gone down into the basecoat color. If they have gone through the clear, you will have to respray, if not carefully sand down the scratches with 2000 wet and dry paper and a rubbing block, then either hand or preferably machine compound the scratches until they are invisible. Make sure you dont go through the clearcoat with too much sanding or polishing.

If that all seems too much for you to take on, your local spray shop can do it for you and wont charge you too much i would think.

Best of luck,

Greg.:)

Latest posts

Back