Replacing Valve Stem Seals

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfoot72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Coupe
Hey Everyone,

So i have the head taken off of my 351 Cleveland because i need to do some work and replace a few things. One of those things i'm replacing is the valve stem seals. I have my valve spring compressor (the kind that attaches to the spring and you twist to tighten it). I tightened it down as much as i can, but the spring isn't compressed yet. One of the videos i looked up said to hit the top slightly with a hammer to release the retainer and remove the spring. Is this the same thing on a 351 Cleveland motor? I tried it, but nothing released. Not sure if i'm doing it wrong because i'm not looking to break anything in my motor and spend more money. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Zak

Give the retainers a good tap on opposite sides using a good plastic hammer or rubber mallet. Also if you're using the wind up type or Spring remover, give it a good wiggle side to side when you have the spring released from the spring pad. This should do the trick as I've done it many a time over the years on all different types of heads when they don't want to let go.

Back