Restoration Guide for 1971s?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeowner A

Reaction score
Is there a good book, online reference or other source for restoration of 1971s? Specifically looking for info on the Mach 1s. I'm interested in info relating to correct colors and finishes for different components, paint marks, tags, decals and decal placement. Basically a guide or reference to help someone restore one to as delivered new in 1971 condition.

Is there a good book, online reference or other source for restoration of 1971s? Specifically looking for info on the Mach 1s. I'm interested in info relating to correct colors and finishes for different components, paint marks, tags, decals and decal placement. Basically a guide or reference to help someone restore one to as delivered new in 1971 condition.
Shop or Service Manual, Assembly Manuals and the MCA Judging Rules have been a great help to me. Also, there are a few online forums, including this one, that have been extremely helpful.

The 429 Megasite has some excellent reference photos

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/
You can also join up to the Concours Mustang forum, and the Boss302 forum - they have a Boss 351 section.
Specifically interested in Mach 1s. I have a good reference for Boss 351s, but not sure how similar or different the Mach 1s were from the Boss. How did the Boss 351s differ from the Mach 1s as far as paint marks, tags, decals, colors and finishes?

Specifically interested in Mach 1s. I have a good reference for Boss 351s, but not sure how similar or different the Mach 1s were from the Boss. How did the Boss 351s differ from the Mach 1s as far as paint marks, tags, decals, colors and finishes?

Boss 351 came off the same assembly line as a 6 cylinder coupe or a 429 CJ Mach 1. The majority will be the same, but the option specific parts will be different in their paint ID marks, tags etc. For example, the P/S linkage was the same regardless of the vehicle it was used in, but the pump and steering box will vary depending on the application.

This video of a survivor 429SCJ car shows some of the ID and paint marks.

Another good resource for concours information is Anghel Restorations. He has articles and many pics on his site of his work.

https://anghelrestorations.com/
To put it bluntly, there is no one "definitive" source for concours information that you are looking for. You'll need to draw from the various sources that have been listed, others that you find, and from whichever specific marks are on your vehicle. There are often variations from plant to plant and even day to day. The best source is the car you own, then you need to fill in the blanks on what has been changed or is missing.

Back