Road Trip

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
351c 2v
Edelbrock 4bbl, Performer Intake
Ram-Air
Pertronix Electronic Ignition
Ok, so I want to drive. Home. To Texas. Problem is I am in Maryland. The trip is ~1600 miles. If I am getting ~11mpg stop and go city driving what is a reasonable assumption on fuel economy on the road? After I get the choke set up and the carb tuned (which I have a month to do) I figure I can get that number up a little more. I was thinking 14-15 wouldn't be too bad of a guesstimate for 60-70 constant speed. Thoughts and comments please!

Ok, so I want to drive. Home. To Texas. Problem is I am in Maryland. The trip is ~1600 miles. If I am getting ~11mpg stop and go city driving what is a reasonable assumption on fuel economy on the road? After I get the choke set up and the carb tuned (which I have a month to do) I figure I can get that number up a little more. I was thinking 14-15 wouldn't be too bad of a guesstimate for 60-70 constant speed. Thoughts and comments please!
Do you have another car? Weather will start to be an issue in another month. 71-73 Mustangs are not known for there bad road condition driving abilities.:(

Hehe, understandable and I have plenty of time to slow down and work my way through it. Short answer is if it isn't feasible, I am flying.
Its feasible, the bigger question is is it worth it to you? If it is I say go for it.

@15 mpg looks like around 300 in gas each way. Not sure what a plane ticket cost and if you want to be patted down by some lonely airport perv.

Its worth it monetarily. Double the cost of the plane ticket yes. It would be worth every penny to have it home. Just want to have a feel for the cost. worst case is i get 11mpg and my gas bill is 500 one way... best case is ~16mpg with a gas bill at 285 one way. Big difference. Just looking for ideas on how much i could look for the improvement on the highway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its worth it monetarily. Double the cost of the plane ticket yes. It would be worth every penny to have it home.

Then "GO FOR IT" Plenty of members along the way if you need help. Plan your route if you come through Knoxville and need a place to crash let me know.

I would take mine on short road trips, with 4.11 gears (driving around 60mph) I can still get about 13 mpg.
Well that is reassuring. I have 2.75 so hopefully if I can get the fuel system dialed in everything is inline for something hopefully around 15

Do you want to leave the car at home in Texas? If so, check everything you can before leaving and buy a gold card membership with AAA. It covers any car you are driving or any car you are a passenger in, plus it gets you discounts at many motels/hotels. I'm in Mustang Oklahoma, just west of OKC, if you need a place to stay or work on the car.

Chuck

No, the car will be coming back with me. Ill be on leave just under 3 weeks. 2 weeks at home and plenty of time to take it easy on the road. I have been recommended the AAA thing before so I suppose I'll have to look into it.

Back