Rod & Custom Motorsports MII frontend?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenGold73

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Bright Green Gold Met Coupe
Trying to decide what system to start looking at after I get done with the engine work I have planned for the next couple months. I've decided that a disk break upgrade is in order (gawd I've always hated my spongy breaks). Then thought well if I'm there maybe I need to think about a front suspension upgrade. In doing some research I'm leaning towards the R & C MII and an wanting to know if anyone here has actually gone this route. Everything I've read people say the company is reputable and good products etc, but I'm leery. Not of the company but if this is the way to go. It takes out the old shock towers, so there's no going back. I'm only going to use it as a weekend driver maybe a few local shows, I'm thinking it may be overkill. However, if I find that my shock towers are "gone" like some others have, this seems like a perfect fix. Doc, I know you just did your front end and you referred to using HCodes instructions (?). I think I remember seeing those at one point but can't find them now...even used the search feature....hmmm. Would I be better off just doing a disk conversion and leaving best alone? Opinions sought here...

If you're not familiar with R&C frontend replacement.

a long time ago i looked into possibly doing mine with an aftermarket suspension. for me it would of caused my build to go years longer and i would of have issues to solve.

it was much easier to go back to stock for maintenance reasons.

i know that you will run into clearance and steering problems. One thing will play off another and you will have to modify things and make parts yourself to get it to work.

the finished product i'm sure will be nice and tight its just more work to get to that point.

converting the frontend to disc from drum will be much easier since its just bolt on parts and little fabrication plus you can go the extra mile and find original parts to complete the conversion.

i know guys that absolutely love non-powered front disc brakes over power brakes, you get more road feel.

you can take some spongy feel out by replacing the rubber brake lines with re-enforced lines, and also changing the brake fluid to dot 4 or 5.1 can make a change.

I switched to dot 5(silicon) from dot 3 and i love it, plus i don't have to worry about paint removal :(.

Adjustable prop valves can make a difference also.

but getting back to a front end replacement. I don't know anyone with a 71-73 that has done a conversion as radical as that. our cars front end is pretty good compared to the earlier mustangs.

I know 1 person that replaced the strut rods with a TCP kit to stiffen things up.

heck adding sub frame connectors gives the suspension on our cars a totally different feel.

if you decide to go ahead and put that kit on the front end please write about it here and give us lots of information and pictures i would love to see it.

Trying to decide what system to start looking at after I get done with the engine work I have planned for the next couple months. Doc, I know you just did your front end and you referred to using HCodes instructions (?). I think I remember seeing those at one point but can't find them now...even used the search feature....hmmm. Would I be better off just doing a disk conversion and leaving best alone? Opinions sought here...

If you're not familiar with R&C frontend replacement.
As far as the suspension goes, I simply bought the whole front and rear stock suspension kit for $765, including freight. The front was really a breeze, and I'm happy with the firmness, although I might move to stiffer shocks down the line. And remember, I'm just replacing things that are worn out, and not upgrading for any track work. 72HCode's post is a great summary of what to expect. If I can be of any assistance, just yell. Good luck.

Doc

Back