safety switch/kill switch?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchandford

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 "M" Code. 351C and 4 speed toploader.
When I think of a kill switch i think of a security feature wherein you flip a switch when you get out of the car, the ignition system is separated from the power and the car won't start. i have been told this is typically done on 'race' cars in order to prevent fire/explosion after a wreck. I don't intend on getting in a wreck, but I am worried about someone stealing my car. It would be a pain for someone to get it on a tow truck, but I know these cars are way too easy to hotwire and drive away with. Any thoughts on kill switch usage and placement? any other ideas? I am getting a legit security system installed soon, but still worried about people taking off with my precious.

Also, one of the things I was thinking of is a capacitor system for the alarm so that some jerk can't just disconnect the alarm system power and shut off the lights and loud noises. anyone do anything like this?

You could just take out the rotor or main spark wire and put it in your pocket, if you're parking in a questionable spot. What thief is going to carry a spare rotor?

Those kill switches look super easy to jumper, unless you have a strong hood lock or chained your hood closed. Summit or Jegs has lots of different switches (aka: battery disconnect).

Btw It's easy to chain your hood. Just attach one end of a chain or cable to the hood. Then close the hood and padlock the other end to a frame piece.

I just put on one of those steering wheel clubs, or take my other car if the neighborhood is that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could just take out the rotor or main spark wire and put it in your pocket, if you're parking in a questionable spot. What thief is going to carry a spare rotor?

Those kill switches look super easy to jumper, unless you have a strong hood lock or chained your hood closed. Summit or Jegs has lots of different switches (aka: battery disconnect).

Btw It's easy to chain your hood. Just attach one end of a chain or cable to the hood. Then close the hood and padlock the other end to a frame piece.
I have been thinking about that last thing. I heard a gun lock works rather well. Not going to stop someone with bolt cutters, but then what is, and usually you just need it to be difficult enough to make it not worth the trouble.

I've found the most effective anti-theft measure is to remove the gas tank. Just tuck it under the arm, and go into the store with it. I do it all the time.

Now then, a thief can still drive off with the little bit of gas still in the carb, but the car won't go very far on that amount of gas.

I actually use a kill switch that has a removable key. It's pretty easy to use actually. I think most people put them near the battery but you could put it anywhere inside the car. Or you can use a hidden switch in addition. Just switch it when you leave the car at the store or something and use the removable key switch when you leave the car for an extended period of time. You can find them on Summit.

Lol.. A 686 makes a nice deterrent.

Back