SCORE ! CRAIGSLIST FIND

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
So I've been looking for like 2months for a reasonable priced 4r70w found this the other day..out of a 2001 v6 mustang..$175.00 has the torque converter too..Time to order the Baumaan controller..valve body..new bands..Post up as we go..

101_0583.JPG

Great, I see one here in Oklahoma for $150 I am thinking about. This would be an interesting swap, also interested in your modifications -- I currently have a C4 with a shift kit but it has a crack and leaks fluid. I go back and forth between C4 and AOD -- the engine would like the AOD since I swapped to 9" with 3.50 gears. Hmm, and with an AOD I could go to 3.89 gears ...

Get a big table and open it up starting at the pump. You will have around 5 major assemblies and a giant c clip and a small spring too.

Practice assembling and dis assembling it over and over till you get comfortable with it.

When you are in there you can see what hard parts you will need.

Get 3 medium large c clamps and break off the leveling part on the handle so you are left with the round knob on the end. Get 1 more medium large clamp but dont damage it.

Get 1 aluminum beer can and and 6 glass bottles of beer

Use whateverittakes.com for your parts.

Don't change the original valve body. With the controller you can control line pressure at all throttle postions and speeds.

Let me know when the 6 bottles of beer are empty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a big table and open it up starting at the pump. You will have around 5 major assemblies and a giant c clip and a small spring too.

Practice assembling and dis assembling it over and over till you get comfortable with it.

When you are in there you can see what hard parts you will need.

Get 3 medium large c clamps and break off the leveling part on the handle so you are left with the round knob on the end. Get 1 more medium large clamp but dont damage it.

Get 1 aluminum beer can and and 6 glass bottles of beer

Use whateverittakes.com for your parts.

Don't change the original valve body. With the controller you can control line pressure at all throttle postions and speeds.

Let me know when the 6 bottles of beer are empty.
Although I probably could rebuild it..I'm gonna pass on that job..I have a local tranny guy who's going to handle that.. It's worth it to me for the few bucks to have a pro do it so if there are any problems or if I need any help I can bring it back..Baumaan recommends installing their valve body in conjunction with their controller..any reason not to use their valve body ?

I might mention my experience with a Baumanator valve body kit...back on my new '97 tbird 4.6 with AODE. They posted a notice on their site some months afterward regarding the accumulator springs they had been sending out. Were too weak. They suggested a stack of washers under the spring. I was dissapointed 1- that they hadn't contacted me directly. And 2- that they hadnt sent me a replacement or any compensation for the costs to replace. So while they may make some decent stuff beware that they are a little weak on support. Just a post. Thnx

No reason to use their valve body is because the original will work perfectly.

My cost in parts alone to rebuild one has been between $400-950 depending on whats broken inside.

Once you get past the "Oh shit its a complicated overdrive automatic transmission" they really aren't that bad to rebuild.

Just make sure you toss the scarf cut seals on the output shaft for the solid GM seals. Shrink the GM seals using the cut up aluminum beer can and a couple hose clamps. Do it over a few days.

Thats really the hardest part of the rebuild.

No reason to use their valve body is because the original will work perfectly.

My cost in parts alone to rebuild one has been between $400-950 depending on whats broken inside.

Once you get past the "Oh shit its a complicated overdrive automatic transmission" they really aren't that bad to rebuild.

Just make sure you toss the scarf cut seals on the output shaft for the solid GM seals. Shrink the GM seals using the cut up aluminum beer can and a couple hose clamps. Do it over a few days.

Thats really the hardest part of the rebuild.
Humm...You better stop cause your talking me into doing it myself LOL..what do think about the j-mod ?

Funny you should mention it.. Myself and several Crown Vic / Grand Marquis people are doing j-mods at my place today.

Do the j-mod, unless bauman recommends against it, or at least tell them it's done so they don't jack the line pressure up to firm up the shifts, when the j-mod has already done it.

Funny you should mention it.. Myself and several Crown Vic / Grand Marquis people are doing j-mods at my place today.

Do the j-mod, unless bauman recommends against it, or at least tell them it's done so they don't jack the line pressure up to firm up the shifts, when the j-mod has already done it.
Post up some pics !!!!

There is also a guy in TX doing ford trani's named Broader Performance. I have never done business with them. Just a post.
Thanks G...Gonna check it out but shipping to him & back ?

You set your own pressure with the Baumann unit.

Jerrys mod is good but it is designed using the cars original computer program for shift points / pressure. Also it is easy to go from a stock soft shift to something that is completely intolerable in a street driven car. So you may want to have a backup valve body or let someone do it who is willing to change it if you are unhappy. The first time my wife went for a ride in the car with the new engine/ trans the first thing she commented on was the harsh 1-2 shift. She was right so I softened it up a bit and made it earlier at the lower throttle positions. Do that with the jmod, pull the pan, and try drilling a smaller hole or remembering if the old brown spring was on the top or bottom of the piston (get my point?)

With Baumann you just change the pressure in the program on your laptop and reflash the controller to fix it.

I always build the inside of the trans to take a bit of a beating. Especially the direct clutch pack. I'll put $20 on yours being smoked.

Anything that can be adjusted or changed while the trans is in the car is not as important to me.

My bet is with the Baumann unit you won't bother later with a jmod.

Post up some pics !!!!
IMG_0171_zps598cb050.jpg

IMG_0172_zps74842f19.jpg

IMG_0173_zpsb8ce9401.jpg

IMG_0174_zps1ad6aeba.jpg

IMG_0175_zps6c81ac32.jpg

IMG_0177_zps14699ef3.jpg

IMG_0178_zps75d790d0.jpg

IMG_0179_zps1116ce05.jpg

IMG_0180_zps085f2afa.jpg

IMG_0181_zpsb57bf239.jpg

IMG_0182_zps0752b711.jpg