Seat upholstery question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael O’Harran

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang 351C
Currently Under Restoration
So like with everything I seem to touch, nothing goes easy and I have quirky issues. Dealing with my upholstery guy and being told I’m good, but looking for independent confirmation. Try to follow this.

I have 1972 Mach 1 with Thin Blue Line theme. That stripe is a horizontal stripe. 1972 seat patterns don’t have anything horizontal so I was talked into choosing the style of what is a 1970 Mach 1 Sport R so I can get the black and blue stitching with a single blue horizontal stripe across the back. I’m okay with this, but original seat frame, new Sport R seat foam and 1970 seat covers.

I’m told the seat hight is the same from this 1970 Mach 1 to my 1972 Mach 1. Now maybe it’s close enough that it not noticeable. Maybe with new and matching seat foam the upholstery with fit the foam perfect so it doesn’t matter. Maybe the seat frame is pretty universal and it’s the foam and upholstery that change the seat. I’m a pretty literal person and if I don’t get straight forward confident answers from people who should know better than I, I begin to doubt it. To me the pictures of the seats look taller in 1972. Even to me that sounds like a dumb statement as they are not to scale. Looking to more options from those that may have first hand knowledge. Thanks.

I know one thing for sure, and that is that the frames are not identical, and the seat tracks are completely different. The 71 frames have the button to drop the seat back on the middle of the back, and the 1970 have it on the side. Now, having said that 1970 seat covers could fit a 1971 frame. I found these photos on eBay and they look quite similar to each other except for the seat back button placement.
First 3 photos are of a used 71 frame and the last one is a Dynacorn reproduction frame. They look pretty close. The one thing that you can do is to call TMI products and have them build you a set of 71 seat covers with the 70 pattern. They do custom orders, and that should be quite simple for them to do. Only issue with that is time, if you are in a hurry that may not be an option.
https://www.tmiproducts.com/

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 8
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 9
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 9
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 9
I know one thing for sure, and that is that the frames are not identical, and the seat tracks are completely different. The 71 frames have the button to drop the seat back on the middle of the back, and the 1970 have it on the side. Now, having said that 1970 seat covers could fit a 1971 frame. I found these photos on eBay and they look quite similar to each other except for the seat back button placement.
First 3 photos are of a used 71 frame and the last one is a Dynacorn reproduction frame. They look pretty close. The one thing that you can do is to call TMI products and have them build you a set of 71 seat covers with the 70 pattern. They do custom orders, and that should be quite simple for them to do. Only issue with that is time, if you are in a hurry that may not be an option.
https://www.tmiproducts.com/
Ultimately if they fit than I’ll be okay because for the look I’m going for, the 1970 patter is a better look. I appreciate your input. Thanks.

Back