Selling "Miss Donna" 8000 mile "barn-find" to fund my twenty other projects. Auction ends in three days.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys think I'm asking too much, but too many times I have sold cars for what I felt was a good price only to find them end up selling at Barrett Jackson for twice what I sold them for, even though the new owners did nothing to the car and I did all the work. I put a lot of work in this car. I still can't bring myself to take the car to Mecum or BJ because I can't get the time off work and there are so few auctions close to me, plus the fees for the buyer and seller are ridiculous. But maybe that's what I'm going to have to do to get the money I want. And it is a gamble for sure to take a car to auction. You might not get those two guys in a pissing contest with each other;). One day I'll do it. Probably when I retire.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134671929806

Last edited:
I know a lot of you guys think I'm asking too much, but too many times I have sold cars for what I felt was a good price only to find them end up selling at Barrett Jackson for twice what I sold them for, even though the new owners did nothing to the car and I did all the work. I put a lot of work in this car. I still can't bring myself to take the car to Mecum or BJ because I can't get the time off work and there are so few auctions close to me, plus the fees for the buyer and seller are ridiculous. But maybe that's what I'm going to have to do to get the money I want. And it is a gamble for sure to take a car to auction. You might not get those two guys in a pissing contest with each other;). One day I'll do it. Probably when I retire.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134671929806
Your restorations are worth every penny you ask. No one better or takes it more seriously in the 71-73 business than you, Kevin. Perhaps, waiting for the right person who has an eye for quality work will spot your low-mileage pony and pull the trigger?

Kevin, YOU are not asking too much for your cars, people are too cheap to PAY what it's worth. Or people simply have no idea what is involved to bring a car up to the condition they want to pay as little as possible for.
It's like the "yard sale syndrome". You ask a dollar for something and they offer you 25 cents, thinking you'll take it.
My car recently appraised for 85K Cdn for insurance purposes, but I'd never see anywhere close to that for a sale price. Parts and labor are through the roof and only going up. If I got 45K I'd be lucky.
You're right about auctions, they can go either way. I too would not go that way even though I know people in the business who could guide me through.
Good luck, stick to your price.

Kevin, YOU are not asking too much for your cars, people are too cheap to PAY what it's worth. Or people simply have no idea what is involved to bring a car up to the condition they want to pay as little as possible for.
It's like the "yard sale syndrome". You ask a dollar for something and they offer you 25 cents, thinking you'll take it.
My car recently appraised for 85K Cdn for insurance purposes, but I'd never see anywhere close to that for a sale price. Parts and labor are through the roof and only going up. If I got 45K I'd be lucky.
You're right about auctions, they can go either way. I too would not go that way even though I know people in the business who could guide me through.
Good luck, stick to your price.
Thanks Geoff!

Kevin.

Thinking back to 1991, I sold a 72 Q code 4 speed no rust Mach 1 for 2500 bucks Cdn because that was all I could get for it at the time. I was asking 4k but the only offer I got at that money was from a 16 year old kid and there was no way I was going to sell THAT car to a kid to kill himself in. While I didn't sell the car directly, in 1976 traded a 71 302 Fastback to a dealer to buy a 76 Cordoba. The kid that bought that Mustang killed himself in it a couple of years later. A friend ran a junk yard and he called me to come look at it as he knew it was my former car. The front was in the back seat after hitting a tree.
I guess in the last 31 years things have changed, values have skyrocketed, but people are just as cheap.
Why did I ever sell that car????

That car is just beautiful, and if it were a stick, I'd be tempted. I find the price to be very fair on both the starting price and the Buy it Now, for what that car is, and how beautiful you have made it. I'm hot on your heels with ours though, LOL.

So "Miss Donna" sold to a member here on our site and I got close to my asking price. The new owner and his wife came in from San Antonio and trailered the car home. They were wonderful people and it was a joy spending time with them and talking Mustangs. I made a few bucks for my labor and I'm happy to have room for my next project. Then I saw this today and I am dumbfounded that I didn't get twice what I was asking for the car! I will post details on a different thread, but someone is going to pay MORE for this hacked up rebody than what I got for my car. Caveat emptor for sure!

https://barnfinds.com/wow-long-name-1971-mustang-mach-1-429-cobra-jet-ram-air/#comment-1381185

So "Miss Donna" sold to a member here on our site and I got close to my asking price. The new owner and his wife came in from San Antonio and trailered the car home....
Kev - Congrats on the sale brother, I'm sure Ms. Donna went to the proper home!

So "Miss Donna" sold to a member here on our site and I got close to my asking price. The new owner and his wife came in from San Antonio and trailered the car home. They were wonderful people and it was a joy spending time with them and talking Mustangs. I made a few bucks for my labor and I'm happy to have room for my next project. Then I saw this today and I am dumbfounded that I didn't get twice what I was asking for the car! I will post details on a different thread, but someone is going to pay MORE for this hacked up rebody than what I got for my car. Caveat emptor for sure!

https://barnfinds.com/wow-long-name-1971-mustang-mach-1-429-cobra-jet-ram-air/#comment-1381185
Congratulations on the sale! I'll keep an eye open for them at our San Antonio car shows. It would be nice to see the car in person and to meet the new owners.

Hi Kevin,

So obviously none of the "experts" on that selling site no crap about Mustangs, and more importantly didn't do the research on you prior to opening their big fat mouths. I have never seen such ignorance on a selling site before. I was tempted to sign up, just so I could join the others defending you, but frankly the others did such a good job I decided it really wasn't worth my time to chime in.

Congratulations on the sale! Those folks got a great car at a fair price as I said before.

Back