Setting the degree of timing (351W) 1971

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hetrickw

Reaction score
My Car
Looking to see if anyone can tell me what the actual degree of timing should be for a (1975) 351W, identified as Intake #D5AE-9425-CC (351M/400). Not sure what the motor came out of, torino possibly. Intake displays 351W but he actual firing order used is a 302, so I assume someone put a 302 CAM in it. no expert ......

It runs sharp w/out timing light, but just wanted to know so I can get everything out of the motor.

Thanks for any assistance

Bill

To get everything out you will want to tune it using a vacuum guage. highest manifold vacuum at idle. Drive. Increase initial timing till it start to ping during the drive. Back it off a little.

Even better: you should set to highest manifold vacuum at idle and then mess with the advance curve but that takes a lot more time.

A 400/351M intake will not fit a 351 Windsor unless that Windsor is running 351M/400/351C heads (in short, a Clevor). Post a photo of your engine first so we know what we're dealing with.

-Kurt

Dont' think it will help but here it is. I put a edelbrock 351W torker II on it and chucked the original intake. I'm sure I can id the block by checking the numbers. Do you know where they would be on the block? 302 firing order.

eng2.JPG

eng1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back