Slight leak from inlet manifold

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention, the left side rocker cover does have a PCV valve on it with a hose that leads to the air cleaner. So some vapour is escaping. Just wondering if I need a PCV valve on the right side rocker cover?

The pcv should be going to full manifold vaccum.

Basically on one side either doesn't matter you have a pcv going to full manifold vaccum, hose goes to the vaccum tree on the intake manifold or special port on carburetor.

The second side is a breather or is a cap and hose going to the air cleaner base breather port.

Inside the factory air cleaner is the breather port.

If you have a pcv then you have it connected to the breather port , and you have a breather on the drivers side , thus the pcv is doing nothing right now.

Some people mistake the pcv for a piping connector you want to pull the pcv and make sure it is real , has a check ball valve inside when you shake it.

Will look similar to this

38001116_65-73_PCV_Ventil_289302351W351C427_1.jpg

I heard back from the garage today and they said the inlet manifold wasn't leaking. They said it's an old engine and it's engine sweat, what ever that is.

Lucky I took it in though, they said the master cylinder was leaking.

PCV is worth having.

I would recommend you pull the intake manifold and fix it with new gaskets and a better installation than was done previously.

Cleaning and RTVing the rear might work, but that is a hard place to work effectively and not get crud dropped into the valley.

It is a bit harder on a 302 than on a cleveland as the coolant in the heads and intake tend to get into the oil when you pull it apart. With the cooling system open and drained, you can use a shop vac on the manifold before pulling the intake and it will reduce the spillage a great deal, but if your cooling system is dirty or rusty, you'll dislodge crap and may cause other problems.
+1

Sounds like another job for the garage. My spanner skills are next to zero :(.

I'll tell the garage your information. Thanks again for this :).
...garages always like getting instruction from guys on forums!

lollerz

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to have accumulated at the front of the inlet manifold too (not as bad) and ever since I put a breathable cap on. I'll replace that cap with a hose to the air cleaner and see what happens.

no its leaking they just don't want to deal with it because it isn't a waterfall of oil coming out.

I heard back from the garage today and they said the inlet manifold wasn't leaking. They said it's an old engine and it's engine sweat, what ever that is.

Lucky I took it in though, they said the master cylinder was leaking.
Are they sure it's not brake sweat? :-/

Please tell them they're very wrong.

Then find another shop. Do yourself the favor.

If the front valley gasket is leaking as well as the rear, then it simply needs resealed. True, it looks like it won't really hurt anything, but does make a mess. I don't think I own a vehicle that has any less "sweat" than that! :D

All kidding aside, I'm sure the translation probably skews things a little.

If I can speak for the forum masses, we will be glad to help sharpen your spanner skills, and walk you through a DIY course! Resealing an intake manifold is a fairly easy and inexpensive process. A dirty job, maybe, but easy.

As for the PCV, imagine hooking the system up in order to create a "crosswind" of ventilation through your engine. The vented cap will provide the fresh air intake, carrying blowby and vapors diagonally through the interior of the engine to the "vaccum" that is the PCV valve. The vaccum will then reintroduce the blowby funk to the intake manifold, where it will be burned and disposed out of the tailpipe.

Got my car back yesterday and it's much better. They showed me they fitted a proper PCV valve to it (they said they fitted it last time it was serviced) and the hose is going to the carb. The leak has been cleaned up and resealed, it seems to be ok. They also fitted a spanking new master cylinder and resprayed the engine block Ford blue.

Thanks very much for all your helpful comments and advice. Much appreciate :).

Back