Small Engine Overhaul

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job, looks great! I see you found the right color blue. For your alternator, when you redo it try alumi-blast paint, made by Eastwood. Comes in a spray or quart. :)
Thanks for the tip! Maybe I can pick some up and use it on the distributor if i don't buy a new one. May as well do it before I put it back in. Wonder if a shop near me has it so I dont have to buy online

Putting the engine in on Saturday! I can't wait. I am a junior in college and my finals are next week. The only thing I have been doing is writing horrendously long reports. This will be a good stress reliever for me. Ill have someone take a pic with me and the car. I have no pictures with me in it or around it. Its time to really get some memorable pictures.

I hope it goes easily with no leaks, I don't know if I have the patience to tear any part of it back down. I get grumpy when it is nice outside and I can't drive my car. Like, really grumpy. lol!

So, after two mornings of hard work, the engine is in and running with no leaks or major problems. I drove it easy for about forty minutes with no problems.

It is running a bit rough at idle though. We are suspecting it has a vacuum leak somewhere but haven't had time to test the lines. We may just drive it to a guy that can look at it for free. It could be something simple.

Still, I was able to enjoy a drive with it. I must say, I noticed a difference right away after the switch from a 2bbl system to a 4bbl system. The car responds much faster. It sounds a bit meaner. I noticed the slight ticking noise it used to have is gone.

Overall I am very happy with the outcome. I just have to figure out why it is idling so weird (already checked timing and adjusted carburetor)

BEFORE

Engine%20Original_zps6wazpvpl.jpg

AFTER

20150503_174237_zpso4fjdjgg.jpg

After a nice wash. The car was filthy because it was sitting in the garage and outside uncovered.

20150503_174245_zpsgrp8gdko.jpg

Wow, just noticed I forgot to paint the fan shroud! That will have to wait until next week haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you FirstMach1.

I deff recommend doing something like this, especially if you have an original engine as I did. I couldn't believe how much oil was caked on the block.

Just make sure your garage is heated when you paint in the winter (I'm not sure how cold TX gets). I noticed when I painted my clear coat on in a garage that was about 50 degrees it was really cloudy. We placed a space heater below it and thankfully it became clear. Heat helps a lot when painting, its very important (I am sure you already know this)

That looks very nice and clean - came out great, congratulations! Like the raise from a ruffeld duck to a beautiful swan ;)

Although I am the old school guy I like the mix of vintage and modern ::thumb::

I also like you outside color very much how it sparkles in the sun!

Tim

That looks very nice and clean - came out great, congratulations! Like the raise from a ruffeld duck to a beautiful swan ;)

Although I am the old school guy I like the mix of vintage and modern ::thumb::

I also like you outside color very much how it sparkles in the sun!

Tim
Thank you for all the compliments!

It seems I am going to the restomod side with the change in the engine bay. I kept some parts like the original intake, valve covers and air cleaner incase I want to put it back to original.

Next up is fixing some spots of my suspension and installing my new master cylinder and fuel tank kit.

Thank you for all the compliments!

It seems I am going to the restomod side with the change in the engine bay. I kept some parts like the original intake, valve covers and air cleaner incase I want to put it back to original.

Next up is fixing some spots of my suspension and installing my new master cylinder and fuel tank kit.
Keeping the old parts is always a good idea! You never know if you once will need them...

Keep your good work going on and keep us up to dated!

Tim

Back