Small Engine Overhaul

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like your making a lot of progress. Keep the updates coming.

After endless hours of work I finally have three layers of paint, and two layers of clear coat on the engine block. Looks awesome. I can't believe how much money this is really taking. I must have over a grand in this project already.

Anyhow, here are some before and after pics of the progress so far.

BEFORE

20150412_152041_zpsv66wsbaw.jpg

AFTER

20150417_142752_zps6kszl2hi.jpg

BEFORE

20150415_101758_zpss0pfdu9x.jpg

AFTER

20150418_105104_zpsu5wmpihx.jpg

Not sure what I will be able to accomplish tomorrow, I have a lot of school work that needs to get done. However, I always seem to procrastinate and work on the engine ;P.

So far the only main "problem" was getting the rear main seal out. It wasn't even that much of a hassle though, we just loosened up the crankshaft and pulled it out. You wouldn't believe how destroyed that seal was. It almost looks like a piece of worn out rope, so strange. All original equipment in this engine. It should be nice and tight when it is done, hopefully no leaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. It is called a "rope seal". I thought Ford had gone to all 2 piece rear main seals by 1971. Do you have a casting date from the engine (by the starter)? Check to see if there is a small pointed pin in the main cap that must be removed to use a new style 2 piece seal. Follow the directions that come with the seal. The sealing lip is direction critical. Great progress. What you are experiencing with cost over run is referred to as "While I'm here I may as well......". Enjoy. Chuck

Looking good. It is called a "rope seal". I thought Ford had gone to all 2 piece rear main seals by 1971. Do you have a casting date from the engine (by the starter)? Check to see if there is a small pointed pin in the main cap that must be removed to use a new style 2 piece seal. Follow the directions that come with the seal. The sealing lip is direction critical. Great progress. What you are experiencing with cost over run is referred to as "While I'm here I may as well......". Enjoy. Chuck
Yes there was that pin. Removed and sealed per directions. We didn't know that there were "rope seals" and when we tried to slide the old one out we couldn't. I am guessing the little pin held the fibers of the rope so it wouldn't move around in there.

You are absolutely right. I am replacing things while I am there. But it is worth it. The engine should run better than it did before, even though I can not imagine it running better, only because tit already ran so good to begin with. I am excited to fire it up.

I still have to figure out if I need connection adapters for the Edelbrock carb.. I think I will just buy them now so if I need them I don't have to wait for shipping when its ready to go back in.

is this the original engine? if its a 302 the VIN will be stamped on the back area where the intake and the transmission bell housing meets.

now is the time to take a picture for documentation, while the engine is out.

20130831_125542.jpg

This was supposed to be a quick intake and carb swap, then I decided to paint the engine, then I thought I may as well replace all of the gaskets, then I decided it was time to replace mechanical parts inside the engine.
:D rofl Yeah, I bought my '71 back in '98, needing the same treatment. Haven't driven it since! :D

My Dad used to call the process "lighting the fuse". He said, "you gotta know when and where to 'pinch it off to keep it from burning forever' when doing a job like that."

Sage advise, it was.

I'm glad you posted the pic of the harmonic balancer. Might want to have the machine shop re-polish the surface of the hub that contacts the seal. The blasting may have put tiny pits in the surface, causing accelerated wear on the new seal and a new leak.

I applaud your efforts on this detail job, it looks great!!

Love the color of the car, too!

is this the original engine? if its a 302 the VIN will be stamped on the back area where the intake and the transmission bell housing meets.

now is the time to take a picture for documentation, while the engine is out.
Is this the number? What numbers should it match?

20150419_120253_zpsch01r4mz.jpg

New picture from today!

20150419_094532_zpsg8ms3y79.jpg

The numbers on the engine read "08720." The vin on my dash is "07820." Where the starter meets the block the code is D2, so the engine was built in 1972?

Does this mean the engine is not original? That would be depressing. Still love it though. I was told by my grandmother that everything was original when I got the car and it was in the family since it was bought new at the dealership. Hm..

The "D2" is kinda sorta misleading. Those casting numbers are technically "engineering numbers", not specifically date codes. They show when the particular part was designed to be used. There is another set of numbers with 4 or 5 characters that is the actual date of casting.

So, yes, the number that you see there could certainly be correct to the '73 car. If it were, say "D9xx", now there would be reason for concern.

As for the engine VIN stamping... looks like just human error there IMO. In a way, kinda neat that it's wrong.

It is almost certainly the original engine. I was just surprised to seal a rope seal in a 1973 engine. The Ford manual says all engines for 1971 had two piece seals. Not the first erroneous information found in the manuals. Keep up the good work. Chuck

I think the dyslexic block number is funny. I wonder if there are two blocks with the same number?

Elizabeth, that is the number, it should match the last set of digits of your VIN number.
the numbers are the same but two that are near each other should be flipped. I am curious if it was human error. What are the chances of finding another replacement block with almost the exact same numbers like this

BLOCK: 08720

DASH: 07820

I don't know how the manufacturing process worked but I am sure others on here do. Was the block stamped as it was put in the car? That is why I wondered if there are two blocks with the same number. The one that is in your car stamped by a dyslexic employee and then the one that went into vin 08720

Well, it is pretty much done. Just need to paint the back of the engine compartment and we will be able to put it back in the car. That will have to wait until the weekend If I can find time away from homework, and if the weather allows me to paint.

Here it is with the carb, valve covers, and air cleaner placed on for picture purposes. The distributor and other pulleys were put on after this picture. Ill get more up tomorrow with everything included.

I wish I painted the alternator blue, but it is what it is. At least it looks better than what it was. Everything has two coats of clear just to be safe. If I had the money I would have bought one of those dress up kits for pulleys and a shiny alternator and power steering pump, but I can always add that next year.

20150421_111136_zpslb2lkgpq.jpg

Back