Small valve '73 4v heads/should I build this motor?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Q code Mach 1
Went to check out a '73 351CJ my friend has had sitting as a build candidate. Unfortunately, it's been out side. Covered, but outside. It's starting to get condensation damage. Anyway, it has a cast iron 73 4V intake on it, the heads had the 4. in the corners. Ports are definitely 4V sized. Pulled a head to see how the bores are, and it had small valves!

IMG_0295_zpsad16b845.jpg

IMG_0296_zps5ee5db2e.jpg

IMG_0297_zpsa960a534.jpg

IMG_0298_zps5473babc.jpg

PS, can anyone tell me if these are standard pistons? He thought he was told it was .030 over, but these have no markings other than the notch and arrow. If it's a std block, it might be worth the trouble to recover. (It's in a camp trailer, in a yard, surrounded by blackberries...)

IMG_0299_zpsdb0d6782.jpg

I scraped the cylinder ridge, and the calipers showed 3.995 for the bore...

IMG_0300_zpsc38b9601.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Q 351 CJ (much less common)

The May 1971 / - 1972 Q-code Version (351-Cobra Jet, 266 HP) was a low-compression 4V variant employing a cast-iron intake manifold (with telltale spread-bore carburetor flange), special camshaft, hydraulic lifters, dual-point distributor, 4-bolt main caps. A small number of late 1971 351C-4V engines were actually low-compression 351-CJ engines, and were equipped with an aluminum intake manifold.

Q 351 CJ (much less common)

The 1973 & 1974 Q-code Version (351-Cobra-Jet, 246 HP) was essentially the same as the 1972 351CJ though with two important differences: Camshaft timing was retarded by four degrees; cylinder heads- though still with large 4V ports - were fitted with smaller valves (2.04" Intake / 1.65" Exhaust), same as used in 351C-2V.

Found this on the web... Someone else will be a long with more input..

The small valves came out very late in 73

I have had several late 73 cars never found the little valve heads though.

Whats the date code on the heads ?

Looks like stock dished pistons

It should be a 4 bolt block

Anyone else? Should I rescue this Cleve?
Totalled,

You have me wondering what size valves my motor has in it. All I remember is that the motor had plenty of power even with all the emission changes Ford made. My thoughts is that its worth saving and with the modern cams now it should provide very good HP numbers. Lots of people go for the Australian heads so wouldn't this be comparable? I guess it all depends on how much they want for this motor.

-jbojo

Where's the date code? I already put the head back on and the motor back together, so it wouldn't degrade further.

Might be worth digging out though..
I believe that the date code is in by the valve springs, not 100% sure though.

-jbojo

The date code is under the alive cover near one of the springs.

+1 to what Jeff said about the block. 408 stroker...cool.

Back