Soft Pedal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The idea of too much piston travel in the calipers is a great point

to make. If the issue is too much pedal travel. After X travel the

pedal should be rock hard as it is "hydraulic" and brake fluid doesn't

compress. You could C-Clamp the calipers to check the difference.

Depending on what a "soft pedal" means I think there is air in the system.

Another good point is the bleeder valve needs to be the highest point to

remove the air.

In the late 80s I had an issue with the duel wheel cylinder rear drum brakes

on the 3 ton chevy trucks as the bleeders weren't at the highest point and it

took a pressure bleeder to get the last bit of air out.

Note that the MC bore size or combo or proportioning valve type will have no effect on pedal feel

only braking performance.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
c9zx that is very interesting about the e brake. Here is the thing I don't have mine hooked up. This could be the problem, never adjusted it because I do not use it. The video link was very good . Maybe my back pistons have to far to travel before contact with the rotor. This gives me the soft pedal. Hope this is it. What do you guys think? I know I should have had the e brake hooked up.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

If you can adjust and make the parking brake functional I think it is worth try. It may just fix the problem. Best of luck. Chuck

well c9zx, my rear calipers do not adjust like on the video. Per my instructions the caliper pistons adjust hydraulically by pumping the pedal, till a hard pedal is achieved. That does not seem to work. I did get the parking brake working though. I still did not remove the residual valve in the master cylinder, do you think it will make a difference? The brake pedal is still soft. I also might try and change the two rubber hoses on the back calipers to stainless ones.

Thanks Dean.

Removing the residual valve will not cure the soft pedal problem in my opinion. Removing the valve will prevent the rear brakes from dragging when you fix the soft pedal problem. I'd contact Summit to see if they have any advice on solving the problem. I wish I had something more helpful to post. Chuck

Latest posts

Back