Solution to stalling at cold startup

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill73Ragtop

Long time vintage mustang hobbyist
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Convertible Restomod enhanced.
former owner (25 yrs) of 1973 Convertible, 351c, A/C, RA
I've only driven the car a couple times so far this season and encountered some typical problems that were resolved pretty easily. The carb was installed 6 yrs ago and has run without a single problem since (until now)

Symptoms: stalling / rpms dropping during choke cycle at cold start. Stalling when slowing down (street light / stop sign) before fully warmed up. Unable to kick down rpms to normal idle (600 in drive / 700 in park). Idle remained at 900 rpm in gear even after warmed up.

Test: checked all vacuum hoses / replaced one or two that were stretched at the ends. Critical test: while running through the choke cycle (once I feathered the gas long enough to keep it running) I sprayed a light mist of starter fluid at the base of the carb.

Result: rpm's immediately jumped up 200-300.

Solution: Change the base gasket. Now it cold starts exactly the way it should; does not stall, and when warm idles at 600 rpm in drive.

Cost: $5.40 for new base gasket and 3 ft of vacuum hose. Time to evaluate issue plus 20 minute drive each way for gasket and hose and reinstall: 2 1/2 hrs. Also cleaned up manifold while carb was off.

Just passing along a typical issue and solution.

Back