Sometimes, you kick yourself for not having a camera.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
There are some days that you seem to stumble upon everything possible without trying.

Yesterday was one of those cases. The day started out by witnessing the high-zoot indoor car storage at the local mini-storage. Never mind the Porsche Carrera GT or the Stryker Spyder - there's a black '71 Mach 1 sitting in there in sorry need of a clay bar.

Then again, I knew it was there. It belongs to the son of the storage's owner. Nice looking black/argent car with vermillion seats.

So be it.

Later in the day, when pulling into the parking lot of a local mini-mall, there's a Chevy Silverado sitting there with a trailer. On that trailer is a badly repainted, maroon 1969 C3 Vette with a 427 - which revealed itself to be an extremely solid survivor upon close inspection. It was wearing American Racing Torq-Thrust D's, in case anyone is familiar with it.

Now that's when you hate yourself for not having the camera.

On the way home, I passed by a shop that's known for European specials (and has a very rusty shell - and I do mean SHELL - of what appears to be the inner structure of a Jaguar XK120 or derivative).

Nothing there.

But there's a 1970 Mustang in Grabber Orange sitting in the shop a block down the road.

Happy day...and I'll say it before anyone else:

:worthlesswithoutpics:

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Samsung M300. As someone who appreciates beautiful photography, I cannot stand using it.

What's the point of a 640x480 photo with more grain than a radio delete plate?

Oh, and I (proudly) don't text either :D

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Samsung M300. As someone who appreciates beautiful photography, I cannot stand using it.

-Kurt
Sometimes a phone call just has to be made but texting is so convenient in the shop

I find myself using my Samsung Galaxy Note II more and more than my Olympus camera, mainly because it is handy and in my pocket all the time.

-Kurt
Right there with ya with my Sanyo SCP-3810 flipper (Sprint). Texting - schmexting... I was SO over and done with 'texting' back in the '80s after having to send AUTODIN messages between military Comm-Centers and ASCs, while using 'brevity' and Z-signals.

For Example: "ZBM-2 - THISTA REQ ZDK ZDS URSTA SSN#1802 DTG P 231400Z APR 13 - ZAR-3!" And that means: "Put a competent operator on the line - we request you resend corrected copy of your message (Station Serial Number)#1802 (Date/Time Group) P 231400Z APR 13 - This is my third request!"

This is what it would look like as a complete message (with all the routing information and formatting before and after:

"PTTUZYVW RUWTMFA8003 1131431-UUUU--RUWTBFA.

ZNR UUUUU

BT

UNCLAS SVC

ZBM-2 - THISTA REQ ZDK ZDS URSTA SSN#1802 DTG P 231400Z APR 13 - ZAR-3!

BT

NNNN"

Yeah - I've had enough of 'texting' to last a lifetime.

-Kurt
Right there with ya with my Sanyo SCP-3810 flipper (Sprint). Texting - schmexting... I was SO over and done with 'texting' back in the '80s after having to send AUTODIN messages between military Comm-Centers and ASCs, while using 'brevity' and Z-signals.

For Example: "ZBM-2 - THISTA REQ ZDK ZDS URSTA SSN#1802 DTG P 231400Z APR 13 - ZAR-3!" And that means: "Put a competent operator on the line - we request you resend corrected copy of your message (Station Serial Number)#1802 (Date/Time Group) P 231400Z APR 13 - This is my third request!"

This is what it would look like as a complete message (with all the routing information and formatting before and after:

"PTTUZYVW RUWTMFA8003 1131431-UUUU--RUWTBFA.

ZNR UUUUU

BT

UNCLAS SVC

ZBM-2 - THISTA REQ ZDK ZDS URSTA SSN#1802 DTG P 231400Z APR 13 - ZAR-3!

BT

NNNN"

Yeah - I've had enough of 'texting' to last a lifetime.
What the heck!

Use my cell phone as a phone? Maybe once in a while but mostly for testing surfing the web while on break at work or as a camera. If I try and use it as a phone to actually call my 17 year old I'd never get an answer text is all the kid understands.

Its nice at the shop, I can answer a quick text usually from wife without having her going on for 10 minutes in how I need to pick up laundry detergent and what I am up too. It usually goes like this

wife: can you pick up laundry detergent on your way home?

me: ok.

see, situation avoided..:)

I switched to a Nokia windows 8 phone and I can use this thing to take pics, 1080 video, browse web, make manager duties easier with full office suite. Hell it will even cook bacon!

Its nice at the shop, I can answer a quick text usually from wife without having her going on for 10 minutes in how I need to pick up laundry detergent and what I am up too. It usually goes like this

I switched to a Nokia windows 8 phone and I can use this thing to take pics, 1080 video, browse web, make manager duties easier with full office suite. Hell it will even cook bacon!
Well my I phone can't cook bacon for sure...It burns it every time

What the heck!
Sorry Man. I was trying to offer some solidarity to Kurt for owning an 'ancient' flipper phone and being 'text-free'... then I felt the need to explain why I choose to be 'text-free'... then I was compelled to offer and example of what I was talking about... then it got out of hand and the memories of being in the Comm-Center came rushing back... and all of a sudden, there was an Unclas Service Message on the screen.

I woke up about an hour later in a fetal position under my desk. The boss told everybody to just let me be and I'd be OK in a short while. Not all PTSD comes from the battlefield... you just don't know... YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!! (totally kidding... PTSD is no laughing matter)

For real though: we typically hand-typed and sent out around 250-350 messages (of varying length and content), and received between 800-1200 daily. To compound the pain and suffering, it all happened using Mod-28 Teletypes at one of the last 'manual' Comm-Centers in the Air Force (Holloman AFB). I was essentially an electronic postal worker - e-mail was truly a God-send.

Mod-28 Teletype information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletype_Model_28

Mod-28 in action:

That's the same series Mod-28 I used at Holloman - with the paper tape reader and punch. We would 'cut' the paper tapes (aka ticker tapes) off-line, and the Comm circuit would read the tapes and transmit them - '50s-'60s technology still in-use by the military as late as 1989.

Sorry for hijacking the thread and the oh-so-forgettable history lesson. Texting has its place and lots of people use it - but quite literally, I had my fill of 'texting-type-communicating' a LONG time ago. ;)

The problem I see is now you have to answer / text her back

I can just say I didn't hear it ring :p

I went to buy that high tec teletype model 28 but it seems it was discontinued.. bummer, the guy at the store relieved me when he told me that they may have some left over inventory and come to find out they had one left! It was only 29.99 with a new 2 year service agreement, i told the store manager that it was probably a long shot but did they have any protective cases for the model 28. Much to my surprise he said yes, and gave a little can with a brush. hmm, i thought this was odd because most recent ones i have used were a physical plastic/rubber mold. He told me to shake well and brush it on the teletype and best of all its made to the latest military specifications. I think this will be real durable in my line of work.

Only thing that really bugs me is i have yet to find a way to fit it in my pocket. :shrugs:

I went to buy that high tec teletype model 28 but it seems it was discontinued.. bummer, the guy at the store relieved me when he told me that they may have some left over inventory and come to find out they had one left! It was only 29.99 with a new 2 year service agreement, i told the store manager that it was probably a long shot but did they have any protective cases for the model 28. Much to my surprise he said yes, and gave a little can with a brush. hmm, i thought this was odd because most recent ones i have used were a physical plastic/rubber mold. He told me to shake well and brush it on the teletype and best of all its made to the latest military specifications. I think this will be real durable in my line of work.

Only thing that really bugs me is i have yet to find a way to fit it in my pocket. :shrugs:
Don't forget about the 120V-30A power supply, DB-25 cable, and 300 baud modem needed to actually use that sucker! It's not very portable, after all... even though it does have casters. ;)

Back