speaking of carbs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 convert 351c
was suggested a new thread would be in order, but not to fan any flames. here's the question; i am looking at possibly swapping out my carb. currently have the 4150 Holley old school dichromate finish 650 cfm with electric choke, Ford kick down, vac secondaries. jets fitted on the dyno for 375hp street driven vert. Considering the newer Holley Alum Ultra Street Avenger model. Why? because it's lighter, cool anodized base plate and metering blocks and moving up to a 770 cfm. Feeding? CHI 2v alum heads with stock stroke, Edelbrock alum duel plane intake, stock exhaust manifolds, hyd roller Crower with Crane gold race rockers. this carb is not a DP because Holley suggests DP's for cars under 3100lbs. My car is a vert so i carry extra weight. They also have the "HP"/non-choke model in a 770cfm with vac secondaries. it doesnt have the cool anodized parts but would probably flow better without the tower. I'd have it tuned on the dyno so the cost would be more than the retail for the carb. Think i'll see a good bang for the buck? Which would be a preference?

I don't quite know what your question is after reading your post a couple of times. Are asking if you should keep the current carb or get a new one, or are you asking if you should get VS or DP, or are you asking choke or no choke?

I think the 770 Street Avenger would be perfect. In the 1F05M 4-speed I started off with the 4300, then a Edelbrock 600 cfm, currently a Holley Street Avenger 670 in retrospect should have gone with the 770. The 670 is fine though. Next one will be the 770.

My car has a Holley Ultra 770 in blue, matches the engine, w/ vacuum secs and electric choke.

We were having a fuel delivery problem and replaced the fuel pump. The give-away was empty

fuel site windows which the Holley has. It is easy to adjust except for the four corner idle screws

which can be tricky. Besides, it looks good on the engine :D

mike

P6200378.JPG

i actually have a bran new Holley 770 cfm street machine that claimed flows better and clear site bowls and i never took it out of the box HAHAHAHA, and i'm still using my 4160 (750cfm dp) and i have a couple 4150 (650,750 cfm dp) somewhere in a box also.

i keep telling myself go install the 770 but i went through such hell with the 4150 and 4160 and for the last 3 years the engine has run well that i don't wanna touch the carb on the motor now.

Getting back to the OP, it sounds like there's a lot of discussion here about 4V heads and carb choice, what about those of us that are still running 2V heads? What's a good upgrade alternative?

Getting back to the OP, it sounds like there's a lot of discussion here about 4V heads and carb choice, what about those of us that are still running 2V heads? What's a good upgrade alternative?
When i had my 2v heads i was running a 750 holley DP with mechanical secondaries. My heads were ported a good bit and i was also running roller rockers and a performer rpm intake. It ran great. Not sure if that helps ya much but its what worked on mine.

The OP is asking which carb to use, I think. The OP has 2v heads, a mild build, and currently a DP 650.

I have 4V heads as does Goodnigh, both of us are running Street Avengers, mine a 670, Mike's is a 770. Both of us like our carbs. Either would work on a 2v. A performance built 2v, then still either carb would work fine. A 2v race engine that lives at 4500+ rpm, then I would buy the 770. Even then the 670 would be fine in my opinion.

yeah, my 650 does a very good job. Was just looking for input/reasons to justify the price of the very cool 770. Might put the cash in new wheels first.
We took the 670 off the broken engine and used it on the rebuilt

long block from Don of OMS. It is a quench Cleveland with DO

markings all around, and some kind of cam. The new engine just

seemed like it wanted more air, hence the 770.

mike

Yeah, in retrospect I should have ordered the 770 too for my 4v. The 670 is fine but i think there is room for a touch more cfm. Not enough to justify buying the 770 though because the 670 is 97% perfect.

Good thread discussion guys. ;)

Back