Static Drop

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71_Stang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang - project car
I'm in the middle of a 71 coupe build (probably couldn't have gathered that from the name) and I'm at the point I need to make some decisions about the suspension. I love the staggered 18" wheels in the front and 20" in the rear, but i'm also wanting to have the lowered 'pro touring' look.

This purple car is a great example, and Pegasus is another. Pegasus had a completely new frame build and the purple car is (I believe) sitting on air struts. Can I achieve this amount of drop with a static drop, keeping the factory setup (i.e. no mustang II, complete suspension upgrade)? Is it possible to drive this low without major rubbing issues?

23ml8h4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fat man fab has a 2" drop spindle for 71-73s but it's pricey. Other than a drop spindle or lowering springs, is there any other way to lower a 71?

I guess that only really leaves a 'shelby drop' or drop control arms? I don't think drop control arms exist for mustangs, but i could be wrong.

I'm not afraid a a little fab work, if anyone has a suggestion.

I really don´t think that the purple one can be driven in that position. If you look how snug the tires are to the front fenders, there is no way you can steer without the tires rubbing or even worse hitting the fenders and denting them.

Unfortunately I know that from experience.

Initially mine had 255 up front and after the lowering they were less close than those on the purple one and they rubbed when I steered. That is why I needed to go to a lower sidewall and a 245. Now everything is fine.

I need to look up a pic that showed the 255 tires up front with the present drop, so you get an idea what I mean.

The stock suspension will allow a decent drop without major issues. But if you wanna go real low, you´ll probably need airbags, so you can lift it when cruising.

As always, if someone has different experiences I´d be glad to be proven wrong.

Ok, found one, though not exactly the one I was looking for. This setup was fine for going straight and even driving on most roads but as soon as you pulled into a driveway or hit a little pothole while turning, it would hit the fender. So I don´t think that the purple one could turn left or right with that setup.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_2091.JPG As you can see in the picture my car tucks a set of 20's pretty hard with a static drop, but it comes with sacrifices. The ride is still fairly decent on smooth roads but a pot hole will make my bottom a-arm contact the frame (stiffer springs are on the way), but I have no clearance issus in the rear. The rear was lowered with blocks while the front springs were trimmed. I had spacers machined to move the top a-arms out 1/2 to get back my camber adjustment back to factory specs. Oh, and get ready to hate speed bumps!

Latest posts

Back