Steering column schematic

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code convert., 351C 2V, FMX, 9in., Ram air, Pwr Steering, Pwr Disc brakes, air-conditioning, 15" sport wheels, Ivy Glo w/white deluxe interior.
Couldn't find a topic with a good schematic of a column, well, should say I did find a topic but the link for the column was broken and it was also a tilt. Anyhow, I was doing some cleaning around the column and noticed the rag-joint connection of the shaft has a great deal of play.

Not the rag-joint itself but the shaft for the column is resting on the bottom edge of the column housing. The last column I worked on was an F100 with three on a tree so, completely different concept. I was under the impression there was a lower bearing, but I very well could be mistaken.

Running into enough issues cleaning that I might end up pulling the column and booster so if anyone can direct me or just post something, your help, once again, will be greatly appreciated. While I was really trying to avoid doing this, if it does need a bearing replaced, it would need to be pulled anyhow.

It was a shortcut to not remove it but I'm finding the car is not liking that thought and making me do it better. Really wasn't happy with how things were cleaning up too.

Thanks!

Back