Stripping the 72 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
429CJ, 4 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock N case, A/C, P/W, tilt, fold down seats, int. wipers, deluxe interior.
It’s going to be awhile before I can get this car out of its current place (in a field buried in snow) but I wanted to get a better looks at things today and also shovel the couple feet of snow off of it. I did grab my camera and took some footage before it died from being a bit chilly. 

anyways! Here’s some cool little tidbits from my experience today.

there was a radiator inside! I needed on, thank goodness. 
was able to remove necessary trim from the door panels I needed, grabbed some dash pieces including the glove box door, visors, couple little odds and ends center bezel, rear bumper (tail light panel so rusted I ripped the nice chrome bumper off)

so I walked away with some much needed parts. 

doing some looking around I saw it had a rear defrost window which I thought would be cool to add being where I live (Alaska) 

also this has a tilt steering column! And remnants of a 3 spoke rim blow. I may have to try and restore that for myself. 

the car is absolutely rusted out. So badly. Kinda sad. I’ll be surprised if I pull it out of there without ripping it in half. The only part of the floor is the trans tunnel. Fenders, doors, rockers, rear quarters, tail light, trunk. Roof, etc etc etc and I promise it doesn’t look any better underneath. Im grateful I can use some parts to at least help another Mach 1 come back to life. 

it looks to have been repainted once, and a couple things aren’t quite “right” but overall i was able to get some good parts just in an hour and a handful of tools. 

I plan on using it as a huge reference of help when installing things and putting my doors back together and some interior parts (dash mainly) and harnesses. I’ll come back later and grab some more parts when weather allows. 

it was a good day and overall a huge step forward to finishing my project. Parts cars are great!

5F2D4956-2D21-4B8A-81AB-D577C777DC6C.jpeg

9413BA90-D429-435A-8079-A60D028802BC.jpeg

556DC4F7-FB23-411D-B5D9-77A6255FFFC4.jpeg

Wow, seems a well optioned car.  Looks pretty cold out there for my taste, be safe!
It was definitely a bit chilly but i was like a kid on Christmas! Grabbing all the parts I could in an hour.

Back