Temp diff between heads?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey folks,

Everytime after I drive my 73 (351C 2V) I measure temperatures of the heads and manifolds using an infrared temp gun, simple point and click. I noticed that the pass. side is always a lot hotter (+/- 30C) than the drivers side. On the pass. side I measure temps ranging from 160-210 degrees celcius and drivers side 90-170.

On the pass. side the alternator sits infront of the head blocking airflow. On the drivers side the airco pump isn’t there anymore so that head gets more airflow.

Does the above explain the difference or could something be wrong?

Cheers,

Vincent.

I don't believe that airflow (or not) would make that much difference. Most of the cooling depends on coolant flow.

I would take the readings on different spots and compare lowest and highest temperatures on the two heads. You might try taking readings on the top of the block on each side of the thermostat, that is where the coolant flow from each side of the block comes from.

Some of the passages in the heads are fairly small and it doesn't take much to plug them up with rust and minerals from using regular water from the faucet.

As David pointed out in another thread, getting the head gaskets on in the correct orientation is critical.

As long as there aren't any casting flaws in the water pump and the water pump gasket was cut correctly, there shouldn't be any issue there.

As long as they were cut right and the holes match and are the correct size, just one of the things an engine assembler should do, not assume that new gaskets mean good to go.

Do you have the metal /asbestos heat shield over the exhaust manifold on the driver side? If you are taking the readings at the same place, and IT NOT BEING near the shield then "forget about this reply!" Lack of shield would heat the outside of the head differently.

Mark

Intake manifold distribution anomalies can cause some cylinders to run hotter (leaner) than others which can cause the cylinder head temp variance you are seeing. You can usually see this in the spark plug color. On my 460 the number 4 header tube always reads hotter than the others and the plug reads accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back