Top Gear got thrown out of Argentina

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the Mustang itself, TG aside:

...that car was recently imported from the US (California, if I recall correctly) to the UK, resprayed and sold (to the TG team, I assume). So, now it's back across the Atlantic.
I saved a pic from the original sale advert..........I really liked it!
(From: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/top-gear-uk-3768.html?p=104051)

He didn't post a photo of the advertisement. There's another photo online:

topgear2-960x623.png

No shock towers that I can see. Bumper bent, passenger's door fit is questionable, etc. This might be a paint job on a Bondo magnet; not necessarily a huge loss.

That, and what's welding back in a package tray? Anyone care to go to Argentina to pick up a free '71?

-Kurt

I don' know if this is an episode worth watching. I'm sure it will be another opportunity to tell people how Ford screwed up the Mustang in 1971 and how these cars are not collectible or sought after and how the last year of real Mustangs was 1970 and how they suck big time in general, blah, blah, blah.

I would suppose it will happen.

The world outside this forum is a scary place. :)

So, TG bought the car stateside, had it shipped, painted and decaled just to destroy it? Doesn't make sense to repaint it. And the decals and BOSS style hood paint were a nice touch over how it used to look.

Oh well, its thier money, they can do what they want.

P.S.: I don't watch Top Gear anymore. I watch Motor Trend's YouTube-only ROADKILL. It's down home and fun, like an old TG episode (and with American stuff!)

Bull. You really expect that the source themselves would accept blame?

As much as I'd like to say they faked ALL of it, the following is pretty damning - and if they were to admit fault, they'd be facing criminal charges if they were ever to set foot in the country again:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/11148267/Jeremy-Clarkson-in-new-row-over-bellend-number-plate-in-Falklands-Porsche.html

Personally, I'm glad to see that their flagrant disrespect for anyone and anything has finally blown up in the face of the writers.

Perhaps the most unfortunate part of it all is how all of this reflects negatively on the show's staff members who have no direct creative involvement in it. Most of them just want a job to feed their families, but because of some jackass who must push the envelope, they're being pelted with stones and ostracized for being associated with the program.

-Kurt

Kurt - your idea about how the episode was dreamed up is sheer genius. :udaman:
Thank you - I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who believes Top Gear is written like this...

-Kurt

P.P.S.: It doesn't take more than five seconds to imitate a Top Gear episode:

[video=youtube]

Top Gear is re-manufactured. Har har.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Kurt,

I like that little Vid you did!;)

You definately have a talent for this sort of thing. I'd be great to put out more material if you were ever inspired or interested to do so in the future.

Along what lines, i'm not entirely sure.

Regards the Top Gear thing, i get the feeling this might be somewhat of a set back for the show in some way. I guess time will tell. I wonder how the ratings are going for the English show these days?

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Hey Kurt,

I like that little Vid you did!;)

You definately have a talent for this sort of thing. I'd be great to put out more material if you were ever inspired or interested to do so in the future.
I've done one other "That '70s Car" video; it was when I picked up the Mustang. Thing is, if I could get an audience for this stuff (and I'm sure I can do so through Reddit), I could make a decent profit from the YouTube Partnership Program.

Problem is, I've been short a set of decent wireless microphones - which can cost as much as a disc brake swap - and when I'm in front of the camera, I can't be behind it.

Actually writing the stories isn't a problem. It's easy to parody Top Gear's stupid humor ("DO NOT PRY!") and make it your own - even as solo host. Strangely enough, Top Gear's own franchises seem completely inept at doing the same thing.

Along what lines' date=' i'm not entirely sure.[/quote']
"Welcome back to That '70s Car, where we have the star from the movie Duel!"

(Camera pulls out to reveal Valiant)

"Uh, yea - we couldn't afford the truck."

And run with it from there. I may be very close to doing that episode too.

Regards the Top Gear thing' date=' i get the feeling this might be somewhat of a set back for the show in some way. I guess time will tell. I wonder how the ratings are going for the English show these days?[/quote']
Honestly, I'm not sure how the ratings system works there, seeing as the end users are the people who essentially demand the continued production of Top Gear (as much as BBC2 is said to hate the program). I don't expect the masses of Top Gear viewers to give a flying flapdoodle whether they were kicked out of Argentina or not.

-Kurt

I love the show and would gladly watch this episode. I would drive Mustamino gladly. They are knuckle heads and crazy stuff happens when you are out having some fun. Don't really know why a changed number plate even matters. People need to lighten the heck up and enjoy the ride.

I suppose poking fun at them with a poor reference to the Falkland islands was in bad taste but I suspect they thought nobody would notice.

I suppose poking fun at them with a poor reference to the Falkland islands was in bad taste but I suspect they thought nobody would notice.
I'm sure they believed someone would take notice, but didn't expect it to reach an official, government level. They already pushed the envelope with their Mexico episodes, insinuating more than once that all Mexicans are essentially human parasites. They were lucky: About all they had to do was apologize to a rightfully infuriated ambassador, and have a few bits of negative publicity published about them.

I'm almost certain they expected something similar here, but were tripped up by an Argentinian border guard who was wise to the country's history and Top Gear's antics.

Perhaps the offensiveness of Top Gear's dialog simply doesn't resonate enough with the many cultures of the world that watch the program to instigate a real firestorm - yet.

Just wait until the writers take the piss out of your country and your people. All of a sudden, it'll become personal.

On another note, I'd gladly drive Mustamino too - but not before de-clowning it. Wouldn't take much effort to dig up a parts car for the package tray and put her back together either.

-Kurt

Good now if we can only get it off the air all together. The show is stupid and the premise is even dumber. I hate it and hope the network drops it. I appreciate good car shows like wheeler dealer and my classic car but Top Gear just sucks.

Good now if we can only get it off the air all together. The show is stupid and the premise is even dumber.
o-AMERICAN-FLAG-facebook.jpg

An't no freedom of speech in my MERICA now!

top gear is hilarious.

I'm offended everyday

Good now if we can only get it off the air all together. The show is stupid and the premise is even dumber. I hate it and hope the network drops it. I appreciate good car shows like wheeler dealer and my classic car but Top Gear just sucks.
Let's be clear...are you talking American or British Top Gear? I'd agree if you're talking the American version.
As for the Argentina episode, the show has become more obvious in it being 'scripted' and fake. But it's entertaining, unlike most other car shows. I actually watched an episode of "Fat'n'Furious" last night. I had mixed feelings. On the one hand, they covered cars that other shows won't even consider. It had a '69 AMC SC/Rambler and two turbo Dodges, an Omni GLHS and a Spirit RT Turbo. But then they have to pretend to be idiots and morons and act out phony 'drama' and conflict.

Back