Transmission filter/gasket

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spydajs

Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
Hello.

Im not seeing a thread with info on where and what brand of Transmission filter and gasket to use.. Any recommendations?

I want to flush my transmission and it doesn't look to complicated from the video I just watched on You Tube.

Hello.

Im not seeing a thread with info on where and what brand of Transmission filter and gasket to use.. Any recommendations?

I want to flush my transmission and it doesn't look to complicated from the video I just watched on You Tube.
I'd use Wix or Motorcraft. Chuck

Spydajs, another area where you don't want to cut corners to save money. A quality transmission filter is just as important as a top of the line oil filter for your engine. As Chuck suggested, Wix or Motorcraft is a good start. Motorcraft is of course found at Ford dealers or parts stores such as O'Reilly Auto Parts.(Wix is Ford's vender who makes filters to their specification's). Another suggestion concerns the pan gasket. A lot of times the gasket is folded in the carton and won't lay flat. If your not in a hurry, lay something on the gasket for a while to help flatten it. Some people will use a sealant such as used on valve covers or even use sewing thread on a few of the bolt holes to "Tie" the gasket in place. Do NOT use a silicone sealant. Most folks tend to apply too much and the excess squeezes into the pan when tightening the bolts. Potential problems could be a stopped up filter, or pieces of this rubberized sealant eventually working it's way up into the transmission and causing "Problems"! Our transmission tech never used anything on the pan and has pulled transmission's where it appeared that the customer had used a whole tube of sealant! LOL :)

Back