Best Mufflers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all! Im putting a new 2.5" exhaust on my 73 mach 1 with 351c 4v and shorty headers. I know I want an H pipe but my biggest question is what mufflers? I dont want anything obnoxious or not comfortable to drive because we are driving it regulary and going to events. Any advice what to get?

Personally I like the Flowmaster FlowFX I put on my car. I find them "neighborhood friendly" at low rpms, but nice a throaty when I stand on it.
My car runs stock manifolds, 2 1/4" H pipe, FlowFX and custom tailpipes with chrome tips (for staggered shocks)
This car had Flowmaster 40's on it when I got it and the drone was ear splitting. I don't find that with the FX mufflers.
You'll get many opinions, it's like a chocolate donut versus a glazed one.

Everyone will have their own preferences on this topic. I have always found the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers to have a nice balance between too loud and too quiet. They aren't raspy and they don't drone. They're easy on your ears if you're going to be doing any distance cruising, want to listen to the radio, or carry on a conversation. And they sound good when you get on the throttle.

I just got my exhaust done. Over the years I used Flowmasters on everything. This time I wanted something on the quiet side. I went with Dynomax Super Turbos and KenDig exhaust cut outs. I'm really happy how it sounds nice and mellow with a bark.

Attachments

• IMG_3275.JPG
    IMG_3275.JPG
    510.8 KB
  • IMG_3257.JPG
    IMG_3257.JPG
    495.7 KB
I went with MagnaFlow Performance mufflers, 2.5" in and out with a customer 2.5" exhaust with H pipe and stainless works exhaust tips flared out to 3". I usually prefer a more growly type exhaust and have had good luck with these mufflers on my other cars. As far as I know they are the same mufflers, I bought them at Summit and they list performance and race and I have always just bought the "performance mufflers". They may just be a different model of muffler from MagnaFlow but they were listed the same and appear identical to the mufflers on the other cars. TBH, I can't say I would use these again on this car, and will probably change them out in the future. I have found that this car seems to have a bit more drone at cruising speeds than the my other cars do. I am not sure if it is exhaust design or compression, but my Mustang has 10.5:1 compression and my 69 Camaro has 10.5:1 and my Chevelle is 11:1 so it may be the fact that the Mustang tips head straight out and have some sort of a resonator in them. Also, the other cars have big block Chevy engines, the Chevelle is a 454 and has the factory oval shaped outlets and the Camaro is a 396 and has turn downs that are tucked tight to the rear valence. Maybe it is the Mustang's trumpet type exhaust tips, I am not sure why. It is definitely louder and has a bit of a drone in the cabin, especially at highway type speeds with a load on the engine. I like the idea of the electric dumps like mach71351c did but they weren't in my budget at the time of the exhaust install. Maybe I will have the mufflers swapped to a turbo muffler and add the dumps when I have the car done and some extra money burning a hole in my pocket, haha.

Attachments

• Mach 1 (467).jpg
    Mach 1 (467).jpg
    229 KB
  • Mach 1 (464).jpg
    Mach 1 (464).jpg
    201.3 KB
  • Mach 1 964.jpg
    Mach 1 964.jpg
    645.5 KB
  • Picture 685.jpg
    Picture 685.jpg
    1.5 MB
  • 1969 Camaro  (601).jpg
    1969 Camaro (601).jpg
    345.5 KB
Last edited:
Based on recommendations from this forum, I went with the Dynomax Super Turbos. I put together a system that exited just head of the rear axle with the intent of running out the back at a later time. Last week, I decided to get some prebent tubes on order to finish the job. I spoke to Tom, the owner of Classic Muscle Car Exhaust, and ended up buying the parts from him. He asked me what mufflers I was running and when I told him, he said they were a very good muffler and the best flowing quiet muffler in that class. Very knowledgeable guy and very helpful. PM me if you'd like his number....although I think it's listed on his website.

I have 2.5" Hooker AeroChambers on my 71 and they're coming off over the winter. Not sure if it's just the dynamics of the entire system, or the turndowns by the valance, but it has a horrible resonance @ 2000 rpm. It gets worse after running the car for a while after the exhaust fully heat soaks. Otherwise, they sound great and would probably be fine another car.

My choices of on hand mufflers are DynoMax UltraFlow, DynoMax Super Turbos and a set of original black painted Flowmasters. I'm probably going to try the UltraFlows first. If it still resonates, then the Super Turbos will go on.

When I bought my car it had Flowmaster 40s and the drone was horrible on the highway. I have since replaced them with DynoMax super turbos and the drone is gone. The car isn’t super loud, but loud enough to know it’s there, especially when I get on it, while still having a nice sound. It has 2v heads, stock manifolds, H pipe, and original style tips. I receive quite a few compliments on how the car sounds, and I am happy with them.

Hey all! Im putting a new 2.5" exhaust on my 73 mach 1 with 351c 4v and shorty headers. I know I want an H pipe but my biggest question is what mufflers? I dont want anything obnoxious or not comfortable to drive because we are driving it regulary and going to events. Any advice what to get?
dynomax ultraflow 14"

Back