Transmission kick down was never correct-please verify

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351 ram air
[url=https://ibb.co/R9rNbJs][img]https://i.ibb.co/376vdPj/DSC06636.jpg[/img][/url]
While searching for a new Holley carb and researching the transmission kick down, it has come to my attention that the one on my car has never been correct.
Can someone tell me if I've figured this correctly?

My car was originally a 2 barrel car. Holley says when switching to a 4 barrel you need their extension piece for the kick down rod.
As the picture shows with the rod hooked up to the lever, the rod is always in a forward position, even though the kick down lever on the carb is pushed back. Also, the spring appears to be missing that pulls the lever forward.
Mine is always in the forward position because the rod is to short. It just sits there never changing position.
The second picture shows the kick down rod as it should be when pushed back. Mine cannot push back because it does not have the correct extension on it. The rod
is to short because its for a 2 barrel car.
Did I get this correct?

Attachments

• 20240830_141448.jpg
    20240830_141448.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240830_141459.jpg
    20240830_141459.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
You have it correct. The extension is to use a 2 barrel kickdown on a 4 barrel carb and intake. The centerline of the primary throttle shaft is further forward on a 4V carb.

My 4 barrel Edelbrock carb required about a 2 inch extension…, and yes you need a forward spring, the forward position is normal driving…

Thanks Guys!
I bought the car like this.
I was pretty surprised when this came to light the other day.
Although I'm NOT surprised that someone could overlook something like this when ditching the old 2 barrel setup for the
performance upgrade of a 4 barrel and manifold.
It's been like this since 1998!

Latest posts

Back