trunk pan replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehcode

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Hcode in grabber green metallic
Has anyone done this and have pictures they can provide? I searched with no luck. I bought the part yesterday and im pretty experienced with metal replacement, ive done numerous quarters, rockers and floor pans but never a full trunk pan in a tight space like this one.I know to do it properly the tailight panel is supposed to be drilled out to allow it to slide in but my tailight panel is in great shape. Im thinking I could section the pan before it goes in then mig it back together once everything is fit through trunk opening and lined up. Any help or pointers will be appreciated.

Wow Jay - I'm honored you linked to my thread. ::thumb::

Good luck, Steve. Getting the floor pan in without pulling the tail light panel will be a huge challenge - I've heard of it being done before, but honestly can't see how without sectioning as you're thinking of doing. With your skills, I'm sure you'll have no problems. Make sure to post up some pics!

removing the tail panel is 2-3 hrs and they are only $100-$120 but the time and headache it will save is worth it.
Yeah, but if the panel is good (along with the paint), it's a tough call to replace a perfectly good tail light panel. Lots of work to repaint just the panel and blend it all in (unless it's a Boss 351, that is ;) ).

Wow Jay - I'm honored you linked to my thread. ::thumb::

Good luck, Steve. Getting the floor pan in without pulling the tail light panel will be a huge challenge - I've heard of it being done before, but honestly can't see how without sectioning as you're thinking of doing. With your skills, I'm sure you'll have no problems. Make sure to post up some pics!
Ya, Eric I got that one saved,lots of good info for when I do mine.

removing the tail panel is 2-3 hrs and they are only $100-$120 but the time and headache it will save is worth it.
Yeah, but if the panel is good (along with the paint), it's a tough call to replace a perfectly good tail light panel. Lots of work to repaint just the panel and blend it all in (unless it's a Boss 351, that is ;) ).
Very true.

Im in the process of a full restoration now and the car just got back from media blast a week ago. The more I look at it the more I think its gonna pay off to remove the tailight panel.ive also got to replace both lower rear quarter extensions so if I remove it all I should have some decent access to the trunk pan

If you're VERY careful with the rotabroach cutters, you should be able to get the taillight panel off without major damage.

You'll thank yourself when you're welding the floor in; if it were in place, you may accidentally dent it trying to access some of the deeper spot welds.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be done with the tail light panel still in the car. Its a pain in the butt, but yes it can be done. I didn't remove my taillight panel because I ended up replacing the trunk pan after the car was painted. BRILLIANT huh?? I even replaced both full length floor pans after the car was painted! But that's just the way it worked out so I made it work. You don't have to cut the pan up at all, it will fit in 1 piece. Its tight as hell but with some patience you can do it. I also installed new drop off with tail light panel in. I taped up the trunk opening really good and the trunk pan went in at an angle. But it went in and out several times for fitting and trimming. After a half dozen times in and out you get pretty good at it. I will try to see if I can find some pics at home of the finished product and scan them for ya, but I do have this 1 pic on my computer. Sorry about the quality, it was a scanned picture.

2duk108.jpg

It can be done with the tail light panel still in the car. Its a pain in the butt, but yes it can be done. I didn't remove my taillight panel because I ended up replacing the trunk pan after the car was painted. BRILLIANT huh?? I even replaced both full length floor pans after the car was painted! But that's just the way it worked out so I made it work. You don't have to cut the pan up at all, it will fit in 1 piece. Its tight as hell but with some patience you can do it. I also installed new drop off with tail light panel in. I taped up the trunk opening really good and the trunk pan went in at an angle. But it went in and out several times for fitting and trimming. After a half dozen times in and out you get pretty good at it. I will try to see if I can find some pics at home of the finished product and scan them for ya, but I do have this 1 pic on my computer. Sorry about the quality, it was a scanned picture.

2duk108.jpg
Plus 1

You need to bend / curve it along the ridge / curve for the gas tank filler pipe and vent

Once in place you can work that curve back out- might have to bend a corner a bit too - Like turtle said it is tight

Back