Trying to track down my dads 72 Mach 1 Mustang HO

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbarr7655

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Mach 1 HO
Hello everyone! I have posted this on a couple of forums and the last forum (VMF) recommended that I try here as well. :)

First off, if this isn't the right sub forum please feel free to move my post. :)

So back in 74'ish my dad bought a 72 Mach 1 Mustang from a now closed dealership in Bronson Michigan. I am trying to track down that Mustang, mostly for curiosity purposes but also to hopefully maybe buy it down the road. (if it's still alive) We received some pretty unwelcoming news about his health a few weeks ago and so I've started asking him various questions about his life. One of them being, what his favorite car was. This car was his answer. (Number 2 was his first car; a 68 Chevelle)

Here's all of the details that I have, hopefully this is enough for someone here to help me out. I don't have the VIN unfortunately but am working with him to see if he has that or some pictures at least.

1972 Mach 1 Mustang
Red with black accents
351 HO Cleveland engine
4 Speed manual transmission
391 Rear gears
All black interior
8 Track player (fancy)

He owned the car until 77 or 78 when he traded it in for a new short bed Chevy in Coldwater Michigan, at a now closed dealership.

Thanks in advance everyone and it's great to be a new member here!

Check with his car insurance company. They may have a record of the car's VIN. This would help your search.
I didn't think to do that. Would it be the company he was using at the time, or his current car insurance company? Also, would they give me that info or would he have to agree to release it to me?

I spoke with my step-mom last night about it and she said she is almost positive he doesn't have the VIN to it anymore. However she told me to give her a few days and she might be able to find out the insurance company that he had at the time. Right now it seems like that's my best bet, so fingers crossed!

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you locate the VIN, send a PM to our forum member KevKen, Kevin is an incredible resource of information for 1972 R code Mustangs. Also, there is a Facebook group called Lost Muscle Cars and they have had a great deal of success reuniting members with their long lost muscle cars. Good luck with the search!

First, I'd like to say welcome to the forum. Glad to hear VMF recommended us.
As others have posted, having the VIN is the most important thing you need for your search. If it were sold to someone you or others knew by name, that would be a good starting point. But since 99% of the time (especially on a trade-in), that is not known, it's back to the VIN.

Another problem, as you have discovered, is dealerships that have closed their doors permanently, others bought out, all the previous sales paperwork and history purged, and dealers absorbed by "Groups" that own multiple dealerships in many states.
At one time, dealers kept sales jackets, which contained everything related to that transaction. Many even included the sheet the sales dept used to order the vehicle and the pre-delivery/inspection (PDI) report. But, when the Privacy Act was instituted, all the easy accessibility to those documents came to an abrupt halt. Since those also included the customer's financial information from the sales process, access to anything in that jacket was only available to the F&I manager and the customer. Since these paper documents took up a lot of room and had to be stored in a secured area, dealers started shredding these types of papers a few years after the sale. So even if the dealer was still in business, there is little chance of them possessing paperwork on a 51-year-old sale.

According to Marti's production figures, only 398 '72 Mustangs were equipped with the "R" HO engine option. He lists 366 Fastback/Sportsroof models with the "R" engine. This is an umbrella figure for the (02) sports roof and (05) Mach1 since Marti does not break the numbers down by model.
At one time, we used to think the 1,806 '71 Boss 351s was a small production run!
With so few cars equipped with this engine and many people unaware that it was even available, finding survivors is challenging. Unlike the '71 Boss, there were no unique Fender decals or "look at me" dress-up items other than an air cleaner decal (another popular throw-away item in the 70s). Your best chance will be if your stepmother is successful with the insurance company. Without the VIN, while not impossible, many search engines will probably not turn up anything.
This group is made up of very knowledgeable people willing to help in any way they can. Please keep us posted on your progress, and good luck with your search.

And once again, welcome to your new Mustang home. :)

As others have posted, having the VIN is the most important thing you need for your search. If it were sold to someone you or others knew by name, that would be a good starting point. But since 99% of the time (especially on a trade-in), that is not known, it's back to the VIN.

Another problem, as you have discovered, is dealerships that have closed their doors permanently, others bought out, all the previous sales paperwork and history purged, and dealers absorbed by "Groups" that own multiple dealerships in many states.
At one time, dealers kept sales jackets, which contained everything related to that transaction. Many even included the sheet the sales dept used to order the vehicle and the pre-delivery/inspection (PDI) report. But, when the Privacy Act was instituted, all the easy accessibility to those documents came to an abrupt halt. Since those also included the customer's financial information from the sales process, access to anything in that jacket was only available to the F&I manager and the customer. Since these paper documents took up a lot of room and had to be stored in a secured area, dealers started shredding these types of papers a few years after the sale. So even if the dealer was still in business, there is little chance of them possessing paperwork on a 51-year-old sale.

According to Marti's production figures, only 398 '72 Mustangs were equipped with the "R" HO engine option. He lists 366 Fastback/Sportsroof models with the "R" engine. This is an umbrella figure for the (02) sports roof and (05) Mach1 since Marti does not break the numbers down by model.
At one time, we used to think the 1,806 '71 Boss 351s was a small production run!
With so few cars equipped with this engine and many people unaware that it was even available, finding survivors is challenging. Unlike the '71 Boss, there were no unique Fender decals or "look at me" dress-up items other than an air cleaner decal (another popular throw-away item in the 70s). Your best chance will be if your stepmother is successful with the insurance company. Without the VIN, while not impossible, many search engines will probably not turn up anything.
This group is made up of very knowledgeable people willing to help in any way they can. Please keep us posted on your progress, and good luck with your search.

Thank you for all of the good info! I am working on trying to at least get a picture of 2 of it and am hoping the members of the Facebook group mentioned above can maybe help me out as well. If I could some how get my hands on the VIN I think that would be a fantastic start. If I can find out what insurance company he had at the time I may try to reach out to them for assistance. Certainly no guarantee there but it doesn't hurt to at least try.

I've often kicked my own a$$ over not buying one I found @ Yadkin valley Ford in Wilkesboro, NC. About 77, I had an immaculate 70 Boss 302 @ the time so knew a little about Boss mustangs. I thought they only made Boss 351s in 71 but here was a 72, this 1 was a blue 02 R code. I think Grabber blue but don't hold me too that. Really nice car except it had some hippy custom paint on it & shot over with clear that was now cracking.

About 10 years ago I had another shot @ buying 1 that the guy had blown the 351 in & had installed a 289 in it, I was going to buy it if he could track down the blown engine, he never got back with me.

Secluff - I'm almost positive you know this but for the rest of us mere mortals I thought I'd refresh a few memories.
For the 72 Model Year the HO was a drivetrain option available in all body types.
336 "05" Mach 1's were HO's which all came with the HO motor and 4 speed. The other 30 of the 366 Marti mentions were "02" Sportsroofs.

Ray

Secluff - I'm almost positive you know this but for the rest of us mere mortals I thought I'd refresh a few memories.
For the 72 Model Year the HO was a drivetrain option available in all body types.
336 "05" Mach 1's were HO's which all came with the HO motor and 4 speed. The other 30 of the 366 Marti mentions were "02" Sportsroofs.

Ray
I recall a friend parting one out in AZ back in 1980. It was a dark green Mach 1 HO. We all knew what it was but didn't have the appreciation for them back then. I salvaged the 'scooped hood and the air cleaner. :confused:

Yeah, my definition of "streetable" has changed a bit over time. My Mach1 only has a 3.89:1 rear gear. The Cougar has a 4.30:1 gear.

Back