Very original Metuchen M-code '71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, gentlemen! Videography is a hobby (and occasional business) for me, so I try to put it to use whenever possible. The YouTube Partnership Program helps too - with any luck, I can recoup some of the repair costs by making videos about the car.

What camera and video software do you use? It looks top notch.
For editing, I use Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects from the CS5.5 Master Collection. The video was shot with two different cameras - a consumer-grade (but excellent in every way) Canon HV40 (shoots 1080i, 30 or 24p, CMOS sensor), and a professional-grade JVC GY-HD110 (720p, 30 or 24p, 3CCD sensor).

The "detailing brush" and "everything wrong with the car" footage was shot with the HV40, while the uncovering/pushing/tow truck footage was done with the HD110.

The footage blew out (note the excess white) when tracking the tow truck, but since I was filming with the camera above my head in the backseat (of a 2013 Mustang convertible), I couldn't control the automatic iris (some of it was shot blind too - I didn't have an external monitor either). Nevertheless, the HD110 doesn't suffer from rolling shutter (the "jello" effect you might see in some onboard YouTube videos) when you're moving at a high rate of speed.

Great Video.....although I almost expected to see a Vista Cruiser Station wagon in the next door neighbours driveway ....from That 70's show!
I'm not a GM buff, but I'm all for as many old cars as possible in the neighborhood ;) . As far as Mustangs go, there's a '69 Shelby convertible about a block away, and a '65/66 notchback rotting in the back of a house. There was another early '65 notchback rotting away in the neighborhood about 10 years ago too (before it disappeared without a trace) - the engine and tranny had been pulled from it. If I'm not mistaken, it was essentially a giant backyard play car for the kids at that house. Gotta raise them right, eh?

Hi Kurt and Welcome to the forum from Luxembourg/Europe. I watched several of your videos and I love them. You obviously have a certain talent there. Keep it up.

Oh by the way, your looks really match the cars. Great!

:)
Thanks - and believe me, the clothes are no coincidence. The blue shirt in the opening is a '70s Norm Thompson, the jeans a pair of orange-label boot-cut Levis, and the tan pants part of a complete 1970's Sears 3-piece polyester suit - note the wide leg. I freely confess to having about 10 different jackets from the period as well, including a check jacket that might as well have come from the wardrobe of one of Cal Worthington's used car dealers.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, gentlemen! Videography is a hobby (and occasional business) for me, so I try to put it to use whenever possible. The YouTube Partnership Program helps too - with any luck, I can recoup some of the repair costs by making videos about the car.

What camera and video software do you use? It looks top notch.
For editing, I use Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects from the CS5.5 Master Collection. The video was shot with two different cameras - a consumer-grade (but excellent in every way) Canon HV40 (shoots 1080i, 30 or 24p, CMOS sensor), and a professional-grade JVC GY-HD110 (720p, 30 or 24p, 3CCD sensor).

The "detailing brush" and "everything wrong with the car" footage was shot with the HV40, while the uncovering/pushing/tow truck footage was done with the HD110.

The footage blew out (note the excess white) when tracking the tow truck, but since I was filming with the camera above my head in the backseat (of a 2013 Mustang convertible), I couldn't control the automatic iris (some of it was shot blind too - I didn't have an external monitor either). Nevertheless, the HD110 doesn't suffer from rolling shutter (the "jello" effect you might see in some onboard YouTube videos) when you're moving at a high rate of speed.

Great Video.....although I almost expected to see a Vista Cruiser Station wagon in the next door neighbours driveway ....from That 70's show!
I'm not a GM buff, but I'm all for as many old cars as possible in the neighborhood ;) . As far as Mustangs go, there's a '69 Shelby convertible about a block away, and a '65/66 notchback rotting in the back of a house. There was another early '65 notchback rotting away in the neighborhood about 10 years ago too (before it disappeared without a trace) - the engine and tranny had been pulled from it. If I'm not mistaken, it was essentially a giant backyard play car for the kids at that house. Gotta raise them right, eh?

Hi Kurt and Welcome to the forum from Luxembourg/Europe. I watched several of your videos and I love them. You obviously have a certain talent there. Keep it up.

Oh by the way, your looks really match the cars. Great!

:)
Thanks - and believe me, the clothes are no coincidence. The blue shirt in the opening is a '70s Norm Thompson, the jeans a pair of orange-label boot-cut Levis, and the tan pants part of a complete 1970's Sears 3-piece polyester suit - note the wide leg. I freely confess to having about 10 different jackets from the period as well, including a check jacket that might as well have come from the wardrobe of one of Cal Worthington's used car dealers.

-Kurt
I want to be more like you when I grow up.

I think they are mutually exclusive topics. I'm already getting older but as I further age I hope to maintain a youthful outlook.

You'll have it running great very soon with that carb. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Hello all,

I started a thread about a month ago about this find, and was lucky enough to buy it from the original owner (who I had to track down - he had moved out of state) last week.

EDIT: VIDEO NOW AVAILABLE HERE:

[video=youtube]

Hey Kurt,

Welcome to the forum, from Northeastern, PA. Fantastic video, very well done! Best of luck with the car!

Sincerely,

Dave

Looks like I might have found the original dealer too - or at least the dealership that sold the OEM spare rim as of 2/03/71 - Bill Austin Ford:

71_mustang_billaustinford_1.jpg

71_mustang_billaustinford_2.jpg

Address reads:

Austin Ford Inc.

3801 N.W. 27th Ave

Miami, Florida 33147

I checked the location in Google Maps. It's either the current location of the Wendy's, or the empty lot next to it, which is now home to a cheap used car dealership that sells nothing but ex-taxi and police Crown Vics. Couple of long-wheelbase P70's in their lot too; some cars must be from NYC then.

EDIT: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/316505-any-vmfers-miami.html

-Kurt

Started her up today. Didn't even have to adjust the carb. It idles and revs perfectly. No dieseling either, without a dashpot.

-Kurt

Okay I must admit.... I looked at the pic's loved the car but didnt watch the video. After the comments I HAD to see what everybody was talking about!!!

GREAT video!!

LMAO...I was expecting Ray Liotta, Robert DiNero, Joe Pesci, and Paul Sorvino to show up and pull a body out of the trunk with Kurt say'n

Well my new friends had some "property" they needed to remove first before we haul her to the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back