• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Lift Shackles/ Air Shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadRacer203

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible with a 302 and AOD
Title says it all. Looking for a set of lift shackles and air shocks/compressor/lines for my '71 Convertible as cheap as possible. I want to get that 70's style rake and the air shocks for some hauling and light towing. Also have original console and misc other parts to possibly trade (I'll make a list and update when I get home)

Title says it all. Looking for a set of lift shackles and air shocks/compressor/lines for my '71 Convertible as cheap as possible. I want to get that 70's style rake and the air shocks for some hauling and light towing. Also have original console and misc other parts to possibly trade (I'll make a list and update when I get home)
I think I still have a pair of old air shocks. I will look tonight.

RadRacer203,

I found them. You can have them for the cost of shipping or for free if you want to pick them up. PM me if you are interested.
Pm sent.

I'm also going to need a compressor/ controller setup if anyone has one of those too, hopefully cheaper than the $150 I can get one for on Amazon

Be aware that air shocks are not good for these Mustangs, as there's no support where they attach to the body. Often times, the sheet metal cracks and then your shocks can punch through the metal.

Be aware that air shocks are not good for these Mustangs, as there's no support where they attach to the body.  Often times, the sheet metal cracks and then your shocks can punch through the metal.
Funny that I was just looking at that on my daughters 73 Pink Convertible. I just replaced the air shocks and just added large metal washers to the top on both sides because of that exact reason.  Thanks for the heads up!!!

top free photo hosting sites

The reason for failures is usually because the metal has rusted and weakened. Back when new lots of people pulled ski boats, campers and such with them and added the air shocks to help carry the load. Any time you have rust it weakens the material.

Yes when you put air shocks on they support more of the weight of the vehicle and load but only choice unless you go to heavier springs that raise the ride height all the time. Air shocks you go up and down when carrying a load or not.

If you have one vehicle to do multiple tasks they are an option.

Putting more horsepower in an engine breaks other things also but we do it.

David

I'm definitely going to be beefing up the shock mounts when I put the air shocks in. I'm not planning on using them often but it would be nice to have them if I have to haul anything.

Still looking for lift shackles. Maybe someone took a set off their car and isn't going to reuse them?

Back