washer hose routing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
I'm replacing the hose for my windshield washer. The hose from the wash bottle appears to go thru the hood (circled in red below) loop around and then to the F washer hose T.

Is that some kind of grommet in the hood for the hose to pass thru or is that part of the hose?

I didnt want to go pulling at it in the event it crumbles and cant be replaced. With replacement hose, its just the plain hose, no attached grommets or anything.

Why not just go right to the F connector with the washer bottle hose instead of looping around thru the hood??

windshieldwashertubes2.jpg

View attachment 32220

I would love to see a diagram and/or pics of the routing from the bottle. It is one of the few things I've not hooked up. The original was dry rotted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well on mine, the washer hose seems to go from the washer bottle and into the wiring harness that is along the drivers side wheel well. It then pops out of the harness and goes to the grommet in the hood (first pic). From there the goes to the F connector and then to the nozzles (second pic).

the original hose for the washer from the bottle to the hood is actually part of the main engine harness.

then it goes through the grommet through the hood to the splitter for the 2 nozzles.

the grommet is separate from the hose i bought a grommet assortment at radioshack some years ago and used that to replace my missing grommet in the hood.

if you don't loop the hose through the hood when you close the hood it will dangle down over the engine and might hit something hot and melt the hose.

there is alot of slack in that hose so going through the hood tries to keep it off the engine, otherwise you could just go to the Splitter and cross fingers nothing hits something hot or that the hose doesn't get hung up on the transmission kick down or throttle linkage on the automatics.

to properly replace the hose as factory original you would need to pull the engine harness from the firewall to the head lights and horns on the drivers side, cut the wire cover wrap and install a new hose then rewrap the line. midlife does harness rebuilds.

most people just put a new hose over the harness and then put some covering over it or tiewraps and call it a day.

if just the ends of the hose is rotted some people just cut the end off and replace it with a hose extender pushed into the old hose then run a new hose to the splitter.

Well on mine, the washer hose seems to go from the washer bottle and into the wiring harness that is along the drivers side wheel well. It then pops out of the harness and goes to the grommet in the hood (first pic). From there the goes to the F connector and then to the nozzles (second pic).

Maybe someone can help me. My hose goes into the grommet and nothing comes out of the hood.

So when I push the washer pump, I get fluid dripping out of my hood. How do you connect a hose inside that small

hood cut out, on the other side of the grommet?

look here:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-washer-fluid-spray

If you mean "how do you the rubber hose through the holes":

Bending a metal wire and put it careful through the holes ... make hoses attached to it and pull ...

It's going in the hood and coming out the hood than connect on this piece(see photo)

::thumb::

Last edited by a moderator:
So it is ok to pull the grommet out of the hood, snake a wire out thru the whole and connect everything back up again? I was afraid to pull the grommet out of the hood. Now that I know that, I can now proceed to snake a wire and then pull a hose thru the hood.

Much Thanks.

Back