Wasted money??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my opinion for normal driving and even some fun, it is pointless.

if you are going drag racing all the time making 600hp and reving over 5000rpms, then you should add something like it to get more oil around the motor since the galleries are reported to not flow well.

I have read many articles that the 4th and 5th main bearings are the last ones to get oiled. There are internal modifications that can be done to fix this but this seems to be the easiest way. I actually got this kit and since I was beefing the engine up I wanted a little extra insurance. Ran without one for 10 years with no issues so it's probably not needed.

-jbojo

Im not sure if it is needed or not..According too bill gays who helped create the cleveland...In stock form and stock cast iron crank...They suposta oil better than a 427 side oiler..Which i dout anyone would try to mod one of them to oil diff...I use to hear all sorts of cleveland oily myths...One was something to do with oil moving threw the big heads into the small block...{rolls eyes}.....And they did get a bad rap for some oiling issues due to after market cranks...And i can't realy say if that mod helps or not..Im sure it would not hurt..But personaly...I dont think it is needed..But that is just my option based on many years of owning one and hearing all the stories..And how they changed over the years.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-the-amazing-351c-4v they talk about it a bit on here. Hank The Crank also introduced an external main priority lubrication manifold for the center 3 main bearings in the same year. It appears the relocated oil passages in the crankshaft screwed up the design of the 351C lubrication system. Everybody running the HTC steel crank needed the external lubrication header too. But the guys who retained the iron crank didn't need it. The steel crank was very popular with the NASCAR teams. But over in the Pro Stock world Jack Roush showed a preference for the iron crank, and he swore up & down the only lubrication modifications he used was fitting the standard pump for 0.002" to 0.003" rotor clearance, a high pressure relief spring and his little cam bearing oil restrictor kit. Pro Stock motors turned 9500 rpm. Jack Roush's partner, Wayne Gapp, was one of the 351C 4V engineers. I"m sure the insider information he had influenced his decision to retain the iron crank.

Last edited by a moderator:
my opinion for normal driving and even some fun, it is pointless.

if you are going drag racing all the time making 600hp and reving over 5000rpms, then you should add something like it to get more oil around the motor since the galleries are reported to not flow well.
X2 A must do on a race engine, not needed on a street engine. If you do it use good steel braided hose and AN fittings not the cheap hardware store junk in those photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah thats a total of about $15 of supplies from Ace Hardware.

Back