Weekly Fun Question - Test Your 71-73 Mustang Knowledge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
Lets talk "brakes" this week.

As some of you may be aware, the '71 - '73 mustangs used the same front hub and disc (rotor) with their disc brakes systems. The question for this week deals with what other models/years utilize the same hub and disc. Specifically, the question for this week is:

Identify three (3) different models and/or years Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles that utilized the same hub and disc in their disc braking systems as the 1971 - 1973 mustang.

Who will be the first to respond with the correct responses?

BT

well one would be the cougar and another Torinos of the same years.

Mavericks and comet would be the other 2 i can think of.

The "Cougar" response is correct as all '71 - '73 cougars used the same hub and disc as the '71 - '73 mustangs.

The other responses are incorrect, as stated.

Any other responses?

BT

The '70 Mustang used the same hub and rotor. Not sure if you are counting Mustangs or if you want "other models" like the previously mentioned Cougar.

You are correct, Dave.

The '70 Mustang did in fact use the same hub and rotor as the '71 - '73 mustangs.

I am still looking for a couple more applications.

BT

You are correct, Dave.

The '70 Mustang did in fact use the same hub and rotor as the '71 - '73 mustangs.

I am still looking for a couple more applications.

BT
was it Thunderbird and LTD?

AD:huh:

Here's another one that shared them: the Ranchero!

I believe the '69 Boss Mustangs also had the upgraded spindle and may have shared the same rotor and hub--but not 100% sure about them being the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there were certainly some really good responses to this question and quite frankly 72HCODE and Dave were on target - - GREAT job guys!

To close down the question, I submit the following.

The '70 - '73 Cougars; the '70 Fairlane; and the '71 Torina share the exact same hub and disc as the '71 - '73 Mustangs in their disc brake systems. All other responses to the question use different applications, per the source.

Source: 44th Auto-Truck Interchange Edition, The Hollander

More next week!

BT

Thanks for putting together these "fun questions", BT. I especially appreciate the usefulness of knowing which parts can be interchanged, since parts for "our cars" are becoming harder and harder to find. Now I know that if I lose a rotor for my front disc brakes, I can find a replacement without necessarily having to track down a Mustang part.

Please keep them coming! :)

Doc

Back