What is a Boss 351?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I looked on line and can't find much specifically on the Boss 351. From what I can see, it's a 4v Cleveland with 11:1 compression. Is there much more to it than that? The Boss 302 was basically a 302 with Cleveland heads. But the Boss 351 wasn't a "Clevor", right?

I might be wrong on a few points but I believe they all had 4 speeds, track-lock, staggered shocks, "R" code in the vin, standard interior, ram air, center gauges, numerically high (lower gearing) rear end and a sports roof (not a mach 1). Basically a factory race car every thing you needed to go fast and rarely anything you didn't.

edit: to achieve the higher compression I believe they used pop up pistons

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. I meant the motor specifically. Was the Boss 351 a package? I was under the impression the motor was different somehow. Like that of the Boss 302.

Was the Boss 351 "between" the fastback and the Mach-1 or was it more like the '95 and '00 Cobra-R (no A/C, no rear seat, no radio)?

Oh, ok. Thank you. How long have you been in now?

1971 R-code (Boss 351)

The Boss 351 is a high-performance variant available only in the 1971 Boss 351 Mustang. Rated at around 330hp (246kW), it was fitted with a four-barrel Autolite spreadbore carburetor, an aluminum intake manifold, and aluminum valve covers. It had four-bolt main block/caps and a premium crankshaft, constructed from high-strength nodular iron. The cylinder head was modified for better airflow and solid lifters were used. The forged connecting rods were shot-peened and magnafluxed for strength, and used stronger bolts/nuts. Forged domed pistons gave an 11.3:1 nominal (11.1:1 advertised) compression ratio. Ford manufactured 1,806 Boss 351 Mustangs in 1971, 591 of which are registered and accounted for on the Boss 351 Registry site.

The January 2010 issue of Hot Rod Magazine reported a project in which a Boss 351 was assembled to the exact internal specifications of an original motor, but fitted with open, long tube, 1-3/4" Hooker headers (vs. the stock cast iron manifolds), a facility water pump, a 750 Holley Street HP-series carburetor (vs. the stock 715 CFM Autolite unit), and minus the factory air filter assembly, engine accessories, or factory exhaust system. In that modified state, it produced 383 hp (286 kW) Gross HP at 6,100 rpm, and 391 lb·ft (530 N·m) torque (gross) at 4,000 rpm.[3] Actual "as installed" output (SAE Net HP) - with all engine accessories, air cleaner assembly, and complete factory exhaust in place, would naturally be expected to be far lower.

4 years now and already on my second deployment. You are retired sf are you not?

Last edited by a moderator:
1971 R-code (Boss 351)

The Boss 351 is a high-performance variant available only in the 1971 Boss 351 Mustang. Rated at around 330hp (246kW), it was fitted with a four-barrel Autolite spreadbore carburetor, an aluminum intake manifold, and aluminum valve covers. It had four-bolt main block/caps and a premium crankshaft, constructed from high-strength nodular iron. The cylinder head was modified for better airflow and solid lifters were used. The forged connecting rods were shot-peened and magnafluxed for strength, and used stronger bolts/nuts. Forged domed pistons gave an 11.3:1 nominal (11.1:1 advertised) compression ratio. Ford manufactured 1,806 Boss 351 Mustangs in 1971, 591 of which are registered and accounted for on the Boss 351 Registry site.

The January 2010 issue of Hot Rod Magazine reported a project in which a Boss 351 was assembled to the exact internal specifications of an original motor, but fitted with open, long tube, 1-3/4" Hooker headers (vs. the stock cast iron manifolds), a facility water pump, a 750 Holley Street HP-series carburetor (vs. the stock 715 CFM Autolite unit), and minus the factory air filter assembly, engine accessories, or factory exhaust system. In that modified state, it produced 383 hp (286 kW) Gross HP at 6,100 rpm, and 391 lb·ft (530 N·m) torque (gross) at 4,000 rpm.[3] Actual "as installed" output (SAE Net HP) - with all engine accessories, air cleaner assembly, and complete factory exhaust in place, would naturally be expected to be far lower.

4 years now and already on my second deployment. You are retired sf are you not?
The torque was 391 at 4000 rpm. With 4V heads Well i be darn.:D

Back