• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

What ten grand will buy you

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the Uruguayan guy.. (me) doesn´t know what a HEAP means... i told you guys i´m english stupid... :p

heap (hp)

n.

1. A group of things placed or thrown, one on top of the other: a heap of dirty rags lying in the corner.

2. Informal A great deal; a lot. Often used in the plural: We have heaps of homework tonight.

3. Slang An old or run-down car. Informal a place or thing that is very old, untidy, unreliable, etc. the car was a heap
Jejeje... Thanks! My car is a heap and my girl too... je!

the Uruguayan guy.. (me) doesn´t know what a HEAP means... i told you guys i´m english stupid... :p

heap (hp)

n.

1. A group of things placed or thrown, one on top of the other: a heap of dirty rags lying in the corner.

2. Informal A great deal; a lot. Often used in the plural: We have heaps of homework tonight.

3. Slang An old or run-down car. Informal a place or thing that is very old, untidy, unreliable, etc. the car was a heap
Jejeje... Thanks! My car is a heap and my girl too... je!
Maybe that should not be in print! :D :D rofl

I agree with 72Mike its not just the car, it thetime spent bringing it back to life and to stand back and admire your creation, I think the car would have alot more value other than just the price tag.

No offense to vamach1's point, but it's the "tons of work" that I actually enjoy about the hobby. I guess I'm a bit of a sick pup, but I get much more satisfaction from bringing something back to life than I actually do once it's done. Weird, I know.

To the point, however, if you don't enjoy the work, you're certainly better off paying someone else a fair price for their previous restoration; gassing it up and hitting the road.
I agree with you Mike.. i enjoy the process knowing i´m restoring a piece of history somehow...

My reality is different... Uruguay has no mustang almoust at all, so here, every car is a great deal...
Prior to doing my 1971 retoration, I did weigh the pros and cons of buying vs restoring and for me it didnt take long to make my decision. Most important was the centimental value of the car. My Dad bought it in 72 and gave it to me. Second was the fact that if I did buy, then this one would have to go to the scrappers and I would've felt like s@#$ knowing there was one less 1971 in the world. Third, I love to restore things and never did a full on 1:1 scale car before. Also, knowing that I did the work and I know every inch of the car, priceless! I loved doing it that I'm now doing a 73 and wouldn't have it anyother way. I'm sure vamach1 meant for someone who wants a classic and is not into wrenching.

Hello guys! Well... The only thing i wanted to add in this buying Vs restoring thing is that it´s been said that restore and get to know every corner of your loved car (let´s face it, we do that and we have classic cars not for the car itself... i don´t think anyone restore a car to go to the mall) is something that grow with the process of restoration. Many of uf even do most of the hork ourselves which helps into that matter... I think that is when it cames subjective in the matter of almost feeling towards the owning a classic per se.

As many of you know i´m from Uruguay and that´s an issue that detemine a los of things... I´m 31 years old, i work 10 hours a day in an office, i´m a proffesional and i make 1000 dollars a month, and my salary is medium good... I´m my country american dollars only became important when you´re gonna buy something outside so... I had to learn to love the restorartion art itself because i can´t go and buy a new hood or a NOS fender because every part for me, plus shipping and taxes costs me double than the original price, besides my earnings are very very low in an international level...

If restoring was not "my thing" i probably couldn´t have any classic car, and actually, i have 4... So, bottom line is that there are a lot of things that make us what we are and the important thing is to enjoy whatever your profile tells you to do...

To link this post to the original thread topic, for me, it doesn´t matter is you buy it finished or if you restore. I´m a restorter because i love to do it and even if i´m not Miguel Angel, i know how to do it and for me, that my hobbie, that´s what entertain me the most... The important thing and i think that was the actual propose of this thread is that you have to know what are you buying and what kind of work you are about to compromise on doing to the car... There are cheap cars because the look bad and there are cheap cars because they ARE bad... If you are planning on restore a car you have to look with knowledge and twice because some projects turn impossible to acomplish for a guy who´s not ready to do that type of job... it end having another car forgotten in a backyard and another guy who once wanted to drive a classic but he ended up hated the headaches, the years of waiting and bottom line, the bad deal he did... It happens a lot and it´s a simple case of "not the right car for the owner"

So, buy what you know you can handle and what you know it makes you happy

Coming from the great white north means that you're almost best to look at the $10,000 cars. Lots of original Canadian cars were driven through lots of original Canadian winters and have tons of typical Mustang rust. I found my car on ebay ...and yes I took a chance but it worked out for me....sure there are things that has to be done on my car and a few things that I want to do that will move it away from it's "stock" look. The main thing is I have a good solid car under me for just over $10,000 and I still ghet to enjoy working on the car without the total frustration of having to do everything.

just be careful, i was burned on a higher priced car. I tried that advice of staying away from the 3K cars, got screwed anyway.

Here's one on the e*ay for $16 and climbing... Wait... I think I saw some dust on this one...

I'm going to wait until I have more money than time on my hands...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-MUSTANGMACH1-1973-FORD-MUSTANG-351-V4-4-SPEED-MACH1-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb41bb2bdQQitemZ260719751869QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

[/u]

oof lot of things wrong on that car if your looking for a stocker.

like what? :-/

Here's one on the e*ay for $16 and climbing... Wait... I think I saw some dust on this one...

I'm going to wait until I have more money than time on my hands...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-MUSTANGMACH1-1973-FORD-MUSTANG-351-V4-4-SPEED-MACH1-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb41bb2bdQQitemZ260719751869QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

[/u]

Guy's I said it before & I'll say it again..EBAY PRICES MEAN NOTHING !!!! Thats the third time this car has been listed...More than half the deals on ebay never go through...I check every week just for a good laugh..& I see the same SOLD cars being relisted for non payment..Plus you would have to be crazy to buy one of these cars without a in person inspection...I happen to be a licensed appraiser for over 21 years & when i hear "OH there going for $$$$ on ebay or NADA puts the value at $$$ It tells me the seller is out of touch with reality & the current market...Premium cars will always bring premium $$$ The crap that's sitting in peoples yards thats listed on ebay is worth half to a third of what they think it's worth..What people fail to realize is that NADA books are JUST A GUIDE pick one up & read the front inside where it tells you how to use the book..No one ever does & if they did, they might be in for a shock. heres a good example of a out of touch seller

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/2257747337.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I HAVE TO AGREE WITH MANY OF YOU. WHEN I BOUGHT MY STANG, I HAD " NO " INTENTION OF RESTORING IT. I BOUGHT IT FOR THE DRIVE TRAIN PARTS. FAIRLY FRESH 466, C6, 9" TRAC LOC. AFTER I GOT IT HOME IT KINDA GREW ON ME, AND I REALIZED THAT I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE OF OUR CARS IN MY AREA. THERES A REAL NICE 70 AND A COUPLE 65-66 COUPES, BUT NO 71-73 STANGS. THEN WITH WINTER COMING I DECIDED WHY NOT. THE OLD "HEAP" HAS GROWN ON ME AND THE CHALLENGE HAS BEEN UNPRECIDENT, I CANT EVEN THINK HOW MANY CARS I HAVE WORKED ON OVER THE YEARS, BUT I THINK I WILL HAVE MORE SATISFACTION FROM THIS ONE THAN ANY BEFORE.

You guys also need to watch out on ANY car you pick up I have seen many piles pas for 10k+ cars. I saw 73 dark green sports roof 351c auto come in to the Ford dealer I was wrenching for. I the saw the same car two years later come back to the shopwith fresh paint on the motor(not rebuilt)the rotted floorpans were sprawed over with heavy undercoating. It went to auction and sold for $22-23k I felt so bad for the poor buyer.there wasprob 30lbs of mud in the quarters.It was worth about $3,200. Saw one last summer for $13.5k again the floors were swiss cheese and this one also needed both rear stubs and right front stub. I bought mine almost 11 years ago for $4k came with new repop qtrs,floor pans, trunk dropdowns, ect.also got abunch of nos trim I won't use i got lucky.

Living is So Cal we get a bit spoiled because there are so many great cars here. We have so many car shows you have to pick and choose which ones you'll go to this weekend. At the shows there always seems to be plenty of people walking around telling the car owners everything that's wrong with their car, and when your parked next to flawless restoration it's easy to get discouraged.

I always make a point of going around and talking to all the owners of works in progress and telling them what a great job they are doing.

To me the joy is in bringing something back from oblivion which is why I seldom keep a car once I've finished it.

That being said it pays to be an educated buyer. you don't make money when you sell a car. You make your money when you buy it and in the love you put into it. It is often better to buy a $10,000 car and put $5000. into it then to buy a $5000. car and end up putting $30,000. into it.

Man, I didn't know any better when I bought my car (I was 15). I guess I got a real good deal. Then again that was 7 years ago.

Paid $3000 for a completely rust free car, brand new rebuilt 351C 4v, rebuilt C-6, Brand new hood (and the old one), new grill, new headliner, and boxes and boxes of spare/new parts.

Back