Why A Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peche 71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Grande, 351 Cleveland, restoration project
1973 Convertible, 302, slight restoration
I haven't seen this discussion yet...

WHO OR WHAT TURNED YOU ON TO MUSTANGS?

What's the reason for you owning a Mustang (or two or three...)?

As for me, I have a couple of older brothers who owned some , and I saw how awesome and fast they were. One brother had a 65 Fastback, green with a 289. His twin had a 68 Fastback with 428 SCJ, that he had painted metallic midnight blue, and that car was an absolute beast! It moved like lightning, and looked dynamite.

I knew from then that I would have some Mustangs in my corral. All I need now is a fastback to make my Mustang trifecta complete.

It was actually a coincidence. I was not looking for Mustang in particular, I only wanted an American Classic and this one was the first one that fit. :)

So my buddy "borrowed" a 72 coupe from his used car lot job at the Ford dealership, and drove it up to the hills on a camping trip. I guess I must have been enamored with it, as I bought a used 73 Grande a few months later as my first car in 1978. The looks hooked me, but the ease of working on it, and the reliability of the Cleveland engine sold me on it. Also, it was faster than all my other buddies cars, including a 68 Firebird (350), 70 Challenger (318), and 73 Monte Carlo (350). That didn't hurt either.

Scott

I remember when the first Mustang came out around '65. I was 9 years old.

The first ones to appear around the streets in Australia where i live, were in the late sixties. I remember seeing Steve McQueen in Bullitt at the theartre when it was first released. That was a definate turn on. How ever it was the '69 Mustang line up that nailed it for me. There was one or two of them for sale at a local car yard where i live. It was then,i really bonded with the Brand and that year in particular, and fell in love with the beasties.

Strangely enough though, when i bought my '73 Vert back in mid 2011,(my first Stang) i wasn't looking specifically for 123 Mustangs. But when i stumbled on and tuned into the '73 Vert, i fell in love with the car and had to own one. Still feel the same way today. This car dead set bars me up. The only other car that has a similar effect on me are the '70,'71 Dodge Challenger Convertibles.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

What else is there? My older brother had 2 70 Mach 1s and a 70 Boss 302 which he still has today. I was 12 years old in 1979 when he bought the Boss. Let me say riding around in a Grabber Orange 4.30 gear Boss 302 would hook anyone.:cool:

Well I would like to say that I looked at others then Mustang. But I didn't get the same feeling of satisfaction 😎[THUMBS UP SIGN] when I first saw My Mach1 73 I was sold! Did see a 70 Mach 1. But now I felt it was too small for Mee. He's asking price was out of my rich. Because of the fact it was not in a good condition! Which is a problem with some car's were the owner don't take care of it.. But I love My 73! Which I just wanted when I saw it[TONGUE][TONGUE][WINKING FACE][THUMBS UP SIGN]😎 Mustang always Mustang [sMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][VICTORY HAND]😎[THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars

sent from my 2303. Regards Lars DK73 Denmark

Taking auto mechanics classes starting in 1976 while in high school, worked on various cars at the time. In '79 when it came time to get my first car, my dad said, " what kind of car do you want?" I don't think I had a fav at the time, but I said "a Mustang". My dad knew a guy at work who sold cars on the side... I was the proud owner of a forest green '71 coupe for $700 of the $900 I had in savings.

Of course when I went to get her certified, learned the car had been in an accident, was full of bondo in the rear and cost me $400 to get on the road. My dad felt bad, gave me $200 so that I now had my first car, an empty bank account and my love of '71-3 mustangs had begun in earnest. Have only owned this year of early sports car throughout my adult life.

So, looking back, I wasn't yearning for these cars, they came calling to me!

I remember growing up hearing my dad tell stories of the early 70's and muscle cars and his favorite was hands down his 71 Coupe. I remember looking at old pics of the car and my dad standing by it with mom. He had purchased it just after returning from Vietnam. He always talked about it. When I was 16 I got a beat up old 82 Fox body and ran that car until it was no longer safe due to rusting nearly in half, still one of my favorites. Dad and I always talked about buying an early 70's mustang together and restoring it. Unfortunately like many things life got in the way and we never had time. When Dad passed away a few years back I told my now wife (girlfriend at the time) that I was going to start looking for one. It took a few years to find the right car, while it is a 73 not a 71, it was rust free, in good shape and I had the means to get it started so I did. I always try to have my daughter out in the garage helping me with the car and she loves it.

So my buddy "borrowed" a 72 coupe from his used car lot job at the Ford dealership, and drove it up to the hills on a camping trip. I guess I must have been enamored with it, as I bought a used 73 Grandé a few months later as my first car in 1978. The looks hooked me, but the ease of working on it, and the reliability of the Cleveland engine sold me on it. Also, it was faster than all my other buddies cars, including a 68 Firebird (350), 70 Challenger (318), and 73 Monte Carlo (350). That didn't hurt either.

Scott
I also love the ease of being able to work on them. Having watched my brothers, and having 3 others previously, the familiarity is a big plus.

Well I would like to say that I looked at others then Mustang. But I didn't get the same feeling of satisfaction ?[THUMBS UP SIGN] when I first saw My Mach1 73 I was sold! Did see a 70 Mach 1. But now I felt it was too small for Mee. He's asking price was out of my rich. Because of the fact it was not in a good condition! Which is a problem with some car's were the owner don't take care of it.. But I love My 73! Which I just wanted when I saw it[TONGUE][TONGUE][WINKING FACE][THUMBS UP SIGN]? Mustang always Mustang [sMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][VICTORY HAND]?[THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars

sent from my 2303. Regards Lars DK73 Denmark
I think my 73 'vert will be 'The One' for me. While it needs some work, it's not a total resto. I think switching to a white top, and going with a dark green metallic will really show it off nicely.

Taking auto mechanics classes starting in 1976 while in high school, worked on various cars at the time. In '79 when it came time to get my first car, my dad said, " what kind of car do you want?" I don't think I had a fav at the time, but I said "a Mustang". My dad knew a guy at work who sold cars on the side... I was the proud owner of a forest green '71 coupe for $700 of the $900 I had in savings.

Of course when I went to get her certified, learned the car had been in an accident, was full of bondo in the rear and cost me $400 to get on the road. My dad felt bad, gave me $200 so that I now had my first car, an empty bank account and my love of '71-3 mustangs had begun in earnest. Have only owned this year of early sports car throughout my adult life.

So, looking back, I wasn't yearning for these cars, they came calling to me!
I had $550 prior to my senior year saved up. I went with my brother who had the 68 to look at a 67 coupe with a 289. The guy wanted $500, my brother talked him down to $375. It had a white top that needed several Brillo pads to get clean, and red body, and it had that big white steering wheel. And some how it had a cloth Jaguar interior in it, it fit somehow. I got a couple offers when school started, from a teacher and students for over $1000, but I couldn't sell it, of course.

I remember growing up hearing my dad tell stories of the early 70's and muscle cars and his favorite was hands down his 71 Coupe. I remember looking at old pics of the car and my dad standing by it with mom. He had purchased it just after returning from Vietnam. He always talked about it. When I was 16 I got a beat up old 82 Fox body and ran that car until it was no longer safe due to rusting nearly in half, still one of my favorites. Dad and I always talked about buying an early 70's mustang together and restoring it. Unfortunately like many things life got in the way and we never had time. When Dad passed away a few years back I told my now wife (girlfriend at the time) that I was going to start looking for one. It took a few years to find the right car, while it is a 73 not a 71, it was rust free, in good shape and I had the means to get it started so I did. I always try to have my daughter out in the garage helping me with the car and she loves it.
Nothing like getting your kids hooked on these cars. One of my favorite memories of my 69 (Maroon Coupe with a black top) was my daughter , who was in 4th grade, asking if I would pick her up from school in it. We'd cruise home down the highway with '4 Non-Blondes' in the tape deck, just singing along at high volumes with the windows open. Great memories.

Nothing like getting your kids hooked on these cars. One of my favorite memories of my 69 (Maroon Coupe with a black top) was my daughter , who was in 4th grade, asking if I would pick her up from school in it. We'd cruise home down the highway with '4 Non-Blondes' in the tape deck, just singing along at high volumes with the windows open. Great memories.
My Daughter is only three but she can identify a clutch disc, pressure plate, intake manifold, carb, distributor etc when looking at them.

Back