Why Isn't There Any Power to #3 Fuse for Instrument Panel Lights?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumblefish

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
ford-mustang-fuse-box-diagram-1971-300x172.jpg

#3 Instrument panel, cluster, ash tray & cigar lighter illumination

All other fuses are hot on both sides except the tiny fuse (#3) which has no power either side. Any suggestions? 

PS: You guys helped me with my turn signal switch and fuse box corrosion, I'm back for more!

ford-mustang-fuse-box-diagram-1971-300x172.jpg

#3 Instrument panel, cluster, ash tray & cigar lighter illumination

All other fuses are hot on both sides except the tiny fuse (#3) which has no power either side. Any suggestions? 

PS: You guys helped me with my turn signal switch and fuse box corrosion, I'm back for more!
I had a similar issue and it turned out that my light switch was bad. It only actuated the headlights, but wouldn't work to light up the instrument panel or anything like that

I was thinking the same thing and I replaced the headlight switch last night.  Shouldn't the fuse block be hot at all times? I think I will find out which wire feeds the fuse block and trace it back. It might come from the battery.

No, the #3 fuse power is fed from the rheostat in the light switch. The light switch and lights are protected by a built-in circuit breaker that carries too much current for the dash lights and circuit board.

So when I turn my lights on (either running lights and or headlights, the fuse should become hot)? I'll have to take a look at that.

TY Don C.

Yes, that is correct. The rheostat in the light switch, that controls the voltage to the dash light bulbs, can fail and all the lights, except power to fuse #3 and dash lights will work.

Back