Will it EVER be done?!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! If only I had 39k! One of my "bucket list" items is to build a car and get it in a magazine, can't do that with a plain Jane new Stang. I'm just feeling frustrated with the lack of progress lately :( I'll get back on it soon.

Ok...lets just say I'm curious. If I were to put my car, and all of the parts...everything, even extra parts up for sale, what do some of you suppose it would all be worth? You all know what's been done to it so far and what it could potentially be.

Again, just curious, throw me some pretend offers ;)

My 72 coupe is in the process of getting bodywork done and im already going through anxiety and withdrawal but she will be back so I can work on her some more. but I remember when I was still building it and going thru the motions to get the EFI'd 5.0 to fire and to get her down the road , there were some moments of futility but just like anything in life you have to brave the storm no matter what. I wanna get into a magazine like car craft or modified mustangs myself. my brother has been in 3 import mags with his skyline, I know if if im patient I will get there.

Ok, call me insane, stupid, whatever you'd like, but I actually listed it on eBay last night. I'm "testing the waters" so to speak. I've done this before with things I wasn't sure about selling or what I could get if I did. I put a reserve on it so if it doesn't get there, I don't have to let it go, if it gets close, I can always lower it if I choose to see it go. I was talking to my wife last night about the whole thing and it's not even so much the frustration, although that is a big part of it, but more the practicality of it. I have big goals for this car, goals that would barely be practical if I lived alone and had no family. A 7 & and an 8 year old take a lot of time (and money) and nothing is worth putting in front of them. As much as I'd like to, I just don't have the time or money to do it right now, and don't see anytime soon when I will. Every time I do work on it, I get to a point quickly where I realize I need parts, and a lot of 'em to finish. The fact of the matter is that at the end of the day, I probably won't get what I want to for it anyway, but I've gotten to a point where I at least need to try. If it doesn't sell, then I will continue to plug away at it, but I have a feeling it'll be an extremely long time before its even close to a complete car. You never know what the future holds in life, and sometimes priorities change and we have to go with the flow. We've all been there at least once I'm sure.

O,

All I can say is we all go through it, life changes and the next thing you know you're selling your car. I did that when my wife was pregnant with our son. I had a 70 Mach One put it up for sale in Oct ( because who buys a muscle car in Oct) well it sold! I regretted it the minute I took the guys deposit.

I swore that I would get another "old" Mustang took 11 years but I did. I guess what I'm trying to say is.....put it away if you have too but don't sell it, you've done some amazing things to it.

K

Yeah, them priorities are a PITA, haha, only issue I see is your trying to find someone that has the same vision as you. Keep us updated man I hope everything will work out and you keep tinkering away at it. It would be a one of a kind car when you got done with it.

I totaly understand where you are coming from. Your family comes first. Period. That being said, and if you have the means, put the car aside, work on it when you can. It will always be there, it won't cost you anything to sit there. if it is sitting there, you will always have a future goal to finish it. I have put mine on the back burner many, many times over the last 22 years. I'm glad I hung on to it, as I'm almost done with it. I know you said that you are testing the waters, but think it through before you let it go. Just my opinion.

Being a good Father is the most important thing you can do in your life.

Building an amazing car doesn't even come close.

Try to set it aside for 6 months before you make a final decision. Maybe you just need some distance to get your perspective.

:D These cars are never DONE. You can get closer and closer but there is always something we can want for OUR CAR. That's why it's our car not someone elses. But you can put it aside for as long as needed, you and others will always appreciate what you have and you can return to it when you can.

Hang in there, let it sit.:angel:

Maybe this will help. I grew up with my older brother owning 2 70 Mach1s and a 70 Boss 302 which he still has today. All I ever wanted was a 70 Mach1. Back in 87 I picked one up from Milford CT it was a 351c 4v 3.91 shaker car and a total rust bucket. After about 2 mouths of driving the hell out of it the left rear shackle came up threw the trunk floor. I was so bummed out,the car was too far gone. A few days later my mom tells me that her friend was selling her 71 Grande. At first I was nah it's not a Mach 1.:dodgy: Then my mom tells me I can get it for 500 bucks.:cool: Well I put about 11k into rebuilding it the hole time wishing it was a Mach1.:-/ I sold it in 1993. I look back now and think how Bad Ass that car was and how dumb I was for selling it.:huh:2 years later I got my 71 Mach and it sat in my back yard for 15 years before I tore it down.:s A house and other family things came first. But now I'm having fun building my dream car. OK too my point, projects take time. You have a awesome start to your car. Make sure selling it is what you want to do. Being a good dad is one thing,but dad needs dad time too.:D

image0-2.jpg

I so hear ya! Just took some pics of mine over the weekend. Been driving it for a couple of years. Afraid to get it off the road and never get it finished. I walk by the welder every morning.....it looks at me and I look at it..........and i keep walking! I'll get some pics posted this weekend. Gotta get started sometime. I'm planning on getting the big things done and a doing a "rolling restoration". Sounds great until you start taking it apart, right :)! Hang in there!

Going through the same thing you are. I started off on it kind of strong but it needs some work done to it that I just don't have the skill to do myself. Welding in a new cowl, rear quarters, etc. After getting a $15k quote on getting body work stuff done I REALLY got disheartened and frustrated with it. I haven't touched in months since getting that quote. I mean $15k can get me an instant 71-73 driver but I don't have that kind of cash laying around. Now I feel like I'm stuck. Not even sure I could sell it. Been thinking about parting it out and keeping the 351 and trans. Maybe look for a solid roller I could transplant them in. It doesn't help when your wife tells you every time she looks at it in the garage she just gets angry... :)

Luckily, my wife doesn't get angry at the car sitting there :)

I've been thinking non-stop about this whole thing and all I keep coming up with is that I can think of a ton of practical reasons to sell it, and only really one to keep it, sentimental value. It was my 1st car, and I did meet my wife while driving around aimlessly in it along the local beach to kill time. I think at the moment my decision is going to be to sell it, as long as I get what I want for it, which probably won't happen anyway. I'm going to just leave it to fate. If its meant to be, it'll be. Whether its selling it for the right number or keeping it and working on it for another 20 years. We'll see how it goes. Sometimes we come to a crossroad in life in which neither path is necessarily the wrong one, just different.

Thank you all for your input, and if anyone here has any interest in picking up where I'm leaving off, PM me. I'll also be posting it in the classified section here.

Back