Windshield molding clips

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markafss

Reaction score
My Car
73 Q code Mach 1, C6, original owner
I’ve just had the car painted and I’m now trying to attach the bright trim, however, I ordered new retaining clips and I'm having a very difficult time getting the new clips on the little posts which the trim attaches. The old clips worked great, but they were all coated with sealer, so I thought I’ll just get new ones. Bad decision. Does anyone have any tips to make this job easier/doable ? TIA

The front and back window trim? I picked up a box at Autozone that worked pretty well. Also you can check at a body shop that's been around for a while, they might have some old school hardware.

I’ve just had the car painted and I’m now trying to attach the bright trim, however, I ordered new retaining clips and I'm having a very difficult time getting the new clips on the little posts which the trim attaches. The old clips worked great, but they were all coated with sealer, so I thought I’ll just get new ones. Bad decision. Does anyone have any tips to make this job easier/doable ? TIA
Use a flat blade screw driver to tap the clip on. That’s the best way to snap the clip on the stud. That keeps you way from the paint job. Just be sure to place the clip against the stud…then on the bottom edge there is a shoulder to place the screw driver and smack it down.

I used a pair of small needle nose pliers to go on the inside of clips. Made it easier to push them down over the pins. Some I had to pre-bend them just a little to make them fit.
Thanks
Use a flat blade screw driver to tap the clip on. That’s the best way to snap the clip on the stud. That keeps you way from the paint job. Just be sure to place the clip against the stud…then on the bottom edge there is a shoulder to place the screw driver and smack it down.
Thanks for your detailed response. It is just what I needed.

Back