Some help with windshield install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m preparing to install the front and rear windows in my 71 and have read through many installs for tips. I didn’t remove the windows so I want to make sure I get them back in correctly. My question is can I install the clips for the trim after setting the windows in place? The rear with the gasket seems like I would be able to, the front I could put them on first since I’m just setting the windshield down. I appreciate all the tips and look forward to a day when I have time to do it, it isn’t raining out and I have a friend available to help!!

I’m preparing to install the front and rear windows in my 71 and have read through many installs for tips. I didn’t remove the windows so I want to make sure I get them back in correctly. My question is can I install the clips for the trim after setting the windows in place? The rear with the gasket seems like I would be able to, the front I could put them on first since I’m just setting the windshield down. I appreciate all the tips and look forward to a day when I have time to do it, it isn’t raining out and I have a friend available to help!!
Front windshield you don't save much by installing it yourself. My problem was receiving the glass damaged multiple x's. The clips need to be installed 1st. It's far too easy to accidentally strike the window, which leads to cracks that can creep all the way across it. On the front windshield it's best to use a pneumatic type of gun to put the sealer on. A std caulking gun works if you are consistent leaving a nice bead of 3/8" high. The pneu. guns leave a nice triangular bead that sits up almost a 1/2" Try to avoid using the cheap dual suction cups on the front & use the good ones. The glass guys have an indicator on theirs to tell you it's on. I used 2 people and a cpl o moving blankets + added a few pcs of painter's tape in case of scratches on the paint. I used my own method on the rear window, mine won't ever leak. You can find it under media here. I did the rear myself with cheap suction cups, it's pretty easy to reach & maneuver. you can use 2 pcs of nylon rope to get the seal in. The sail panels are usually glued in with it. p.s. be careful pressing down on the windshield to seat it on the sealer, they are flimsy and will break.

Putting the clips in now, the AMK clips I got for the front windshield (F-3503) are all the same size but it looks like the top pins are deeper and these clips sit lower? Should the top front windshield have longer clips? Also the rear clip package (F-583) was short 2 clips and came with 7 short screws? Are these screws for the trim pieces? Does anyone have 2 extra rear fastback clips? Again my car is a 71 Mach 1 fastback.

That doesn't look right, however, since you are missing so many of them, I'd keep the 2 that are close together. Here's what mine looked like before I put the window in. Are there any tabs on the sides? You may want to try to weld on a tab to hold another one on the side though. I'd start by measuring the height of the others tack it on and grind it enough to get the clip on. You can try the trim now just to see if it can hold itself together. I don't remember the overlaps on the bottom 2 pcs whether that helps hold them. I'd see if they sell the tabs or cut off a small nail head of a similar diameter. Keep the heat down since there's prob. some lead around there. I had a hole in my corner that leaked and needed a cpl tack welds.

Attachments

• IMG_7673.JPG
    IMG_7673.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7674.JPG
    IMG_7674.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
Guy that put mine in was appreciative of the hood clips I got from Kentucky mustang. He said people normally provide flimsy clips. These were OEM quality.

Hi all. I have couple of questions as well. Car is Convertible 73.

First, when I removed my old front windshield it did not have any trim clips. The trim had screws in the pillar and that held the trim in place. Looks legit.

Second, tomorrow I plan to glue the new windshield in place. All the videos show that the glue is to be applied to the windshield. Question - is there something wrong if I apply it to the frame instead? Makes it more precise, I guess.
(Sorry for the upside down, it does not let me turn it here)

P_20231223_173027.jpgP_20231226_132246.jpg

Guy who did mine applied it to the frame after a couple test fits and tape applied for targets to help line it up.

Guy installed it for the same cost as me buying the windshield as I didn’t have one.

Well, done. Applied to the frame and worked like a charm. Will fill the gaps with sealant later.

P_20240114_110118.jpgP_20240114_111451.jpgP_20240114_111519.jpg

Almost perfect but the trim is too narrow. It leaves almost an inch naked below. The inner trim does not cover that. Anyone has masked it somehow? Ideas please.
P_20240114_212759.jpgP_20240114_212629.jpg

sure you got the right glass?
The glass is right and alright, sealed well and all. The outer trim is too narrow and leaves the metal window frame with the welding dots exposed to the view. It just looks ugly. If the trim was wider it would cover this nasty gap.
Think, I need to slide a piece of black plastic stripe in from inside to mask this gap. Work in progress.
Just wondering, if others have had the similar issue?
P_20240115_184153.jpgP_20240114_2127591.jpg

The glass is right and alright, sealed well and all. The outer trim is too narrow and leaves the metal window frame with the welding dots exposed to the view. It just looks ugly. If the trim was wider it would cover this nasty gap.
Think, I need to slide a piece of black plastic stripe in from inside to mask this gap. Work in progress.
Just wondering, if others have had the similar issue?
View attachment 84870View attachment 84871
I've never tried a convertible, however, didn't like the position of the bottom of the windshield. They sit on perches/brackets. I ended up using 2 small rubber blocks at the last minute to sit glass on at the bottom, in order to raise it upward.

I've never tried a convertible, however, didn't like the position of the bottom of the windshield. They sit on perches/brackets. I ended up using 2 small rubber blocks at the last minute to sit glass on at the bottom, in order to raise it upward.
I did the same but during the dry fitting. The install itself was a walk in the park.

Back