WOW! how do you get this sound?!?!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
what would have to be done to a stock 351CJ to get this sound!?!?! Car is a factory 4 speed, posi rear. it is used for cruise ins beach trips and mountain runs. no racing. I know how to achieve the sound and performance in a BBL Chevy but never built a ford motor before

change to screw in studs needed? matched springs, locks and retainers matching the cam is a given.

grind and manufacture to achieve the sound?

One thing I can say is that compression gives it that crisp sound more than anything else. Also remember if it sounds like that it won't last very long.

One of the Bill Elliot's secrets for his success with the 351 was he ran 16 to 1 compression before anyone else even dared try. Now do you want to pay over $5.00 a gallon to be able to run? Valve seats do not last long with the heavy springs and the cam wears very quickly.

I does sound cool though.

I had to drive my car to the exhaust shop with open headers, sounded exactly like that. My neighbors went inside their house. lol

I wonder if he has exhaust cutouts to make it loud or quiet when he wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is the 454 I built several years ago. it was a little over built though. got about 8 MPG! lollerz

rpm air gap intake

performer heads

.030 over

Isky custom ground solid flat tappet. I don't remember exact specs. thinking 586 lift

MSD ignition

10:1 hypereutecic

startup is at the end.

http://s114.photobucket.com/user/BlackRat_Vet/corvette/story

It may not be a requirement to have screw in studs with a cam that would produce that sound, but it is certainly recommended. To get there w/o studs, you'd need the adjustable roller rockers...the downside to them is the spring rate and RPM limitations due to the 5/16" screw used to hold them down.

i have a blown head gasket at least that's all I hope it is. I planned on getting screw in studs, guide plates and hardened seats.

as soon as our old house sales I can stop talking about this stuff and start actually doing it!

Read up on some of the 351C build ups on the web, most will do screw-in studs & guideplates. For a cruiser, a cam in the 230* @ 050" lift would be about the most I'd go. It'll give you a fairly choppy idle, but won't be a bear to drive. Run a dual pattern cam with more lift and duration on the exhaust side to help with the crummy exhaust port flow. I had one of my 351C-4V engines with an old Motorsport 214/224 , .510/.536 lift hydro cam and it was a great daily driver cam in a Mustang, but gave up the ghost at 5700. Hooker Comp headers fit great and will work with the stock clutch linkage.

This is the MAN when it comes to 351C engines, I hear he is fairly liberal with info and will help people out.

http://www.racecrateengines.com/mmeracing.html

Go to any drag strip on a weekend and you'll hear plenty of that sound. Not something you can do on a daily basis, unless you like PO'd neighbors and traffic citations. No cutouts on that one, they have a very different sound than open headers, much quieter and kinda wheezy.

Latest posts

Back