Yes or no??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A big no. They don't suit the design of the car. I recon it would look awesome with some 15" Cragar Super Sports.
I've been avoiding commenting on this, because it's all about personal taste... until I saw Thin Lizzy's comment. Now I gotta say:

EVERYTHING looks better with Cragar S/Ss - even my old junk! rofl

attachment.php

A big no. They don't suit the design of the car. I recon it would look awesome with some 15" Cragar Super Sports.
I've been avoiding commenting on this, because it's all about personal taste... until I saw Thin Lizzy's comment. Now I gotta say:

EVERYTHING looks better with Cragar S/Ss - even my old junk! rofl

attachment.php
SOLD!!!!

Mister 4x4, what size are they and where do i get them??? same size for front and rear?

LOL!

I got mine from Summit Racing. They are the Direct Drill series (since the original old school S/Ss have elongated holes to match many different lug bolt patterns.

15x8: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-61c581242

I have 15x8 up front (with 245/60R15 tires), and 15x10 rears (with 295/50R15 tires and not enough backspacing, so they stick out a little). If you want that look, be advised that when the suspension bounces, they will probably rub on the wheelwell openings. To get more backspacing, call Summit Racing and ask for at least 5" of backspacing (5.5" would be optimum) to get them tucked properly. They can special order from Cragar with the appropriate backspacing.

Otherwise, I would recommend 15x7s or 15x8s, depending on the size tires you want.

15x8 rims with 245/60R15 tires all-around is not bad. 15x7 with 235/60R15 with 15x8 255/60R15 out back is not bad. Just kinda depends on what you want to do. 15x10s with the 295s are cool... but need more backspacing than what I have.

Here's the pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hope this helps - Let me know if you have other questions about the wheels I have.

LOL!

I got mine from Summit Racing. They are the Direct Drill series (since the original old school S/Ss have elongated holes to match many different lug bolt patterns.

15x8: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-61c581242

I have 15x8 up front (with 245/60R15 tires), and 15x10 rears (with 295/50R15 tires and not enough backspacing, so they stick out a little). If you want that look, be advised that when the suspension bounces, they will probably rub on the wheelwell openings. To get more backspacing, call Summit Racing and ask for at least 5" of backspacing (5.5" would be optimum) to get them tucked properly. They can special order from Cragar with the appropriate backspacing.

Otherwise, I would recommend 15x7s or 15x8s, depending on the size tires you want.

15x8 rims with 245/60R15 tires all-around is not bad. 15x7 with 235/60R15 with 15x8 255/60R15 out back is not bad. Just kinda depends on what you want to do. 15x10s with the 295s are cool... but need more backspacing than what I have.

Here's the pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hope this helps - Let me know if you have other questions about the wheels I have.
Love the way your car looks!! I understand mine won't look quite as manacing as yours since mine is not the Mach1 but i stiil will love it!

i will call Summit and get the 15x10 for the back with the proper offset and 15 x 8 for the front, like i said i will leave tomorrow on a 3500 mile motorcycle trip, when i get back i will start on this project, eventually i will have this car looking good with paint and under the hood, thanks again!!

Let me know how the ordering goes - I might just have to admit defeat and order up some new ones with the correct offset to get this back on track.

Enjoy your trip! ::thumb::

I'd go 15x8s front and 15x8s on the rear, with BFG 245/60r/15s and 275/60r15s on the back. Those 60s on the rear are big and make the stance look menacing. A proper 70s mean machine.

Kind of wish I'd gone for 275/60r15s on mine. There's plenty on space in that rear wheel arch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the 70's the selection of wheels we had to choose from was more limited than what we have today. If you are going for that 70's look the 15" Magnums or Cragars are the smart choice and both of those styles look awesome on our cars.

Just to throw a small wrench in the works, your car will handle better with 18". There is a big difference when you lose that tire roll.

21cfnh5.jpg

You asked, so...... no!

It´s not the size, it´s the design. It´s much too modern and don´t blend in with the car.

If you wanna go big and wide, I think it´s better to stick with a more traditional design.

For my taste the dog dish and trim ring setup is much better.
Dude...he's Hispanic ...those ARE traditional to him :D but what EVER you do ...DO NOT put those that are laying by the car on the ground. Just wouldnt be right. but again we are a bunch of ole white guys...what do we know?:D:D:D
H ha ha ha, that is probably the best replay of the thread!! I agree on the ones laying on the floor, they were for another customer, i did not go for the black wheels, like another member said, too much black and no contrast between the tire and the rim, just left it alone until i come back from my motorcycle adventure, then i will start allover again:D
dancebanana well at least ONE guy here with a sense of humor! :D So..when you can look up that model with the torque thrust. Lower the car a bit.....no ....no not Mexican bit .... just an inch or so...put some 245 60's and to me that car will pull off a very nice hot rod/track style look.

I dig the black wheels. A set of Boss hockey stick stripes and black rockers for that spring special look and it would be a seriously mean looking car.

Something like this:

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?pic=/1971/1971_00014_02
That is my car??!!:D:D

Back in the 70's the selection of wheels we had to choose from was more limited than what we have today. If you are going for that 70's look the 15" Magnums or Cragars are the smart choice and both of those styles look awesome on our cars.

Just to throw a small wrench in the works, your car will handle better with 18". There is a big difference when you lose that tire roll.

21cfnh5.jpg
That looks awsome!! love seeing more choices!!

Dude...he's Hispanic ...those ARE traditional to him :D but what EVER you do ...DO NOT put those that are laying by the car on the ground. Just wouldnt be right. but again we are a bunch of ole white guys...what do we know?:D:D:D
H ha ha ha, that is probably the best replay of the thread!! I agree on the ones laying on the floor, they were for another customer, i did not go for the black wheels, like another member said, too much black and no contrast between the tire and the rim, just left it alone until i come back from my motorcycle adventure, then i will start allover again:D
dancebanana well at least ONE guy here with a sense of humor! :D So..when you can look up that model with the torque thrust. Lower the car a bit.....no ....no not Mexican bit .... just an inch or so...put some 245 60's and to me that car will pull off a very nice hot rod/track style look.
Until somebody wants to race me and i will very quietly look the other way since i have mouses not horses under the hood!:s

ahhh but maybe she will look so badz that they will just admire and be TOO afraid to want to race :D

mdmp_1005_02_o+1971_ford_mustang_mach_1+front_view.jpg

this is why I like the torque thrust.... and against the red...she'll look awesome. now compare to the Crager....

72coupe.jpg

I believe the red requires a little more design

ahhh but maybe she will look so badz that they will just admire and be TOO afraid to want to race :D

this is why I like the torque thrust.... and against the red...she'll look awesome. now compare to the Crager....

72coupe.jpg

Yeah, the red looks kinda plain but i can think of something to make it look cool;)

no ...that is just it. The red looks good. But to me it requires a little more beauty treatment to really pull out its character. for example look at the crager wheels vs the torques' subtle touch but the torque will make the car look better. However look at the black wall vs the white letters???? Now you see the red could really be made to pop out.

I had a spring time yellow did the same process I was amazed how the white letter tires and doing the road rallye style lowering with the wide tires just make it look awesome. back in 1990...the market was in the tank you could get a concours car for 5000. I sold mine NOTHING was original except interior and exterior...it pulled 10,000!!!!

images

imagine THIS car in yellow black vinyl top and all yellow hood etc, and you practically are looking at my car without stripes and numbers of course.

72coupe.jpg

Oddly enough, that Grabber Lime Mach 1 also had 14" Cragars on it back in the day, and looked a lot less "menacing" as well. Of course, it was also missing hockey stripes, TuTone on the hood, front & rear spoilers, and "the stance" it has now. ;)

mump-1005-01-o+1971-ford-mustang-mach-1+mach-1.jpg

The big thing to remember is that wheels make probably the biggest impact on how a car looks. Here's mine with the stock wheels vs the new wheels:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Torque Thrusts are awesome wheels... but so dang expensive (over $250 per wheel these days). Not to mention that it seems like every hot rod I've seen at the car shows lately seems to have them. That's what pushed me in the direction of the Cragars - there aren't nearly as many of them out there anymore, and they're also "old school cool" in the playground full of 17" and larger rims with 2" or less sidewalls (which can be a good look as well... depending on the car and the wheels chosen - not everything "looks right" on large diameter wheels, IMHO).

Whatever direction you decide to go, don't get anything smaller than 15" rims - that's one of the biggest differences between "needs more design" and "menacing" - too much unbroken tire sidewall is more subdued and stock looking. 60-series tires with raised white letters also contribute to the "old school cool" look as well.

Good luck and have fun with your choice! ::thumb::

Mr 4x4, i have a good friend that has a wheel shop here in town {Lalos Custom Wheels), he has been selling wheels for well over 15 years and he agrees with the Cragars, he is checking things out for me to make sure i get the correct offsets:)

That's awesome! Let me know what he comes up with as far as the right 15x10s... it might be easier to go through him to get a new set with the right offset for mine, rather than hassle with Summit Racing.

Believe it or not, that Grabber Lime Mach 1 rpmcarter posted up was my "inspiration" car before I bought mine. I'd picked up a copy of Mustang Monthly and it was in there... I immediately flashed back to the '71 Grabber Yellow Mach 1 owned by a friend of my Mom - I was 14 and it was the coolest car in the world (of course). When I saw that article, I decided I "No Kidding" wanted one of my own and began my quest. It's that "menacing" stance and look that is what inspired me to go the direction I did.

I think you'll like the "old school cool" look of the Cragars. But seriously, whatever you pick will look awesome on it - the important thing is that you're happy with it. ::thumb::

Mr 4x4, i have a good friend that has a wheel shop here in town {Lalos Custom Wheels), he has been selling wheels for well over 15 years and he agrees with the Cragars, he is checking things out for me to make sure i get the correct offsets:)
I know where he can pick up a set in San Angelo....... and sell to you CHEAP!

I know where he can pick up a set in San Angelo....... and sell to you CHEAP!
Got any pics??? i would be VERY interested!!!

Back