Top rail where fender attaches

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hi,

Just removed the fender on drivers side and found some rot above where the fender bolts on to the rail. Caught me by surprise. Not sure what to do with it. They probably don't sell this piece I'm sure.

2011-01-17_21-09-25_179.jpg

Darren, welcome to the wonderful world of "rustang repair." Actually, what you have there is a fairly common problem and there are reproduction aprons available for all of the engine compartment corners. However, you usually end up replacing the entire apron, and not just the top rail of each piece.

It isn't that bad of a job, and if you have a welder available to do the "plug welds" to simulate the factory spot welds, it makes the whole engine compartment look like new again. And, look at the bright side, there's no need to do the kind of body filler and sanding work that is necessary on the exterior panels, so it's just a matter of grinding out the old, and carefully fitting and welding in the new. Some primer and satin black paint, and viola. Cheers! -Andy

Yeah, I'm suffering the same repairs on the 72 coupe! Every rail including the rear fender apron extensions is bad on ours! But some new aprons and it'll be all good!

Yeah, I'm suffering the same repairs on the 72 coupe! Every rail including the rear fender apron extensions is bad on ours! But some new aprons and it'll be all good!
yes... you should have the panel replaced... This type of reparations are an easy job and once you did it, its done and will last...

Check twice your cowl condition... it is one of the worst spots in any mustang...

We have them in stock, as kit or in each piece

Don

Item #71-3FAKIT

71-73 FENDER APRON AND BATTERY TRAY KIT

Kit includes all four inner fender aprons, left front apron, right front apron, left rear apron, right rear apron and a battery tray. Reproductions. Price: $149.95

Item #3634F

71-73 FENDER APRON, FRONT LH

Left hand front inner fender apron. Reproduction. Price: $34.95

Item #3634E

71-73 FENDER APRON, FRONT RH

Right hand front inner fender apron. Reproduction. Price: $34.95

We have them in stock, as kit or in each piece

Don

Item #71-3FAKIT

71-73 FENDER APRON AND BATTERY TRAY KIT

Kit includes all four inner fender aprons, left front apron, right front apron, left rear apron, right rear apron and a battery tray. Reproductions. Price: $149.95

Item #3634F

71-73 FENDER APRON, FRONT LH

Left hand front inner fender apron. Reproduction. Price: $34.95

Item #3634E

71-73 FENDER APRON, FRONT RH

Right hand front inner fender apron. Reproduction. Price: $34.95
Thanks.. I was looking today and found the aprons in a couple of catalogs. I'm confused about the middle section. Am I right that the front apron and rear apron do not cover next to the shock towers. There is alot of rust in this area, Is that a separate piece. basically I want to have a new rail all the way across for bolting the fender back up. Thanks for all your help. Don I will be in touch when I'm ready to order. Hey one more thing....if the aprons are good and the rail is the only thing that needs replacing...should I cut out only what I need or do you guys recommend installing complete aprons.

yes... you should have the panel replaced... This type of reparations are an easy job and once you did it, its done and will last...

Check twice your cowl condition... it is one of the worst spots in any mustang...
It's funny. I'm slowly dismantling the car to get to the cowl to repair. Unearthing more problems as I approach the car. I guess it's like the yellow brick road. You have a few bumps but at the end everything works out,,,I hope..lol. I starting to do things that I've never done before. I guess I am brave or stupid. Need tho get it back on the road for the summer. Thanks for the help.

Darren, welcome to the wonderful world of "rustang repair." Actually, what you have there is a fairly common problem and there are reproduction aprons available for all of the engine compartment corners. However, you usually end up replacing the entire apron, and not just the top rail of each piece.

It isn't that bad of a job, and if you have a welder available to do the "plug welds" to simulate the factory spot welds, it makes the whole engine compartment look like new again. And, look at the bright side, there's no need to do the kind of body filler and sanding work that is necessary on the exterior panels, so it's just a matter of grinding out the old, and carefully fitting and welding in the new. Some primer and satin black paint, and viola. Cheers! -Andy
Thanks Andy..I freaked last night but after looking at it and finding out I can get parts I'm relieved. I have enough on my plate in fixing a rusted cowl. There is so much stuff that needs to be dismantled and or removed to access. I'm trying to figure out how to take off the rails that sit on top of the cowl by the hood hinge bolts. I posted a question. About to check. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.. I was looking today and found the aprons in a couple of catalogs. I'm confused about the middle section. Am I right that the front apron and rear apron do not cover next to the shock towers. There is alot of rust in this area, Is that a separate piece. basically I want to have a new rail all the way across for bolting the fender back up. Thanks for all your help.

You are right about the middle section it's part of the shock tower & very thick metal. the aprons COVER a few inches in the front & rear but not the center..Your going to have to make those pieces out of the same guage metal or maybe you can find that section from a junker..I was lucky the new towers I got had the same problem but the old ones were good in that area so I was able to "section in" the bad area using the old shock tower. Check my vids on cowl repair it will help you..You can also check my other vids here

http://www.saturdaymorninggarage.com:D

Thanks.. I was looking today and found the aprons in a couple of catalogs. I'm confused about the middle section. Am I right that the front apron and rear apron do not cover next to the shock towers. There is alot of rust in this area, Is that a separate piece. basically I want to have a new rail all the way across for bolting the fender back up. Thanks for all your help.

You are right about the middle section it's part of the shock tower & very thick metal. the aprons COVER a few inches in the front & rear but not the center..Your going to have to make those pieces out of the same guage metal or maybe you can find that section from a junker..I was lucky the new towers I got had the same problem but the old ones were good in that area so I was able to "section in" the bad area using the old shock tower. Check my vids on cowl repair it will help you..You can also check my other vids here

http://www.saturdaymorninggarage.com:D

Thanks...Just watched some of your vids. Very helpful.

Back