Arrgghh. Power steering.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'72 "mach" and a bunch of other stuff.
Power steering was leaking at the output shaft.

Was hoping to limp it along and added Lucas stop leak.

That didn’t work. Went from small leak to dumping the full power steering system in 5 miles

I was going to put the lares quick unit in, but money is tight right now.

How hard is rebuilding these units?

Special tools?

I built the car from a basket case so fairly mechanically inclined, but would hate to throw more money away just to turn around and buy the lares unit.

And is thus the correct rebuild kit fir our cars?

Thx

Attachments

• IMG_5922.png
    IMG_5922.png
    12.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5923.png
    IMG_5923.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
This thread, although a bit long winded might help also.
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/saginaw-800-power-steering-box-rebuild.32082/

What has likely happened is the sector shaft is so badly worn and/or corroded that the seals no longer do their job.
Apart from the two boxes I did do a full rebuild on including turning the sector shaft to remove the damage, then having them hard chromed and re-ground, I have not been able to find a source for Saginaw repaired or new replacement sector shafts. This means if it looks like the one in this pic, your only choice will be to get it rebuilt by a professional shop or buy new.
The rest of a rebuild is doable for someone with mechanical skills as long as you follow the instructions or YouTube videos ( some are good, some are crap!)
The first two pics are a worn out sector shaft, third one is a repaired one.
If Saginaw installed a dirt seal similar to the one on the input shaft, this damage likely wouldn't happen.
Tools needed include a GOOD in/lb beam torque wrench that measures from 0 to ? in/lbs., a suitable adaptor and a "C" spanner, pic #4

Attachments

• IMG_1612.JPG
    IMG_1612.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have some spares for fixed and variable ratio boxes. If there is a Pick-N-Pull wrecking yard near you it may be your best bet for a new (used) sector shaft. If you read my other thread you can see what boxes interchange parts with. Find a Jeep or Camaro box and make yours quick ratio (read the other thread, it isn’t any Jeep or Camaro).

Other suggestion is to purchase two rebuild kits, one with bearings and one without. The Teflon seals are tricky and you may find the extra $20 for a seal kit worth it. Nothing is more frustrating than pinching or cutting a Teflon seal without a spare.

Also, the Ford manual for the 71 (and likely also the 72) covers the rebuilding and repair for the Saginaw 800 PS box.
There is one other major rebuild you might need to do and that is to change the balls in the rack screw/piston assembly. If you have a couple of inches free play on the steering wheel, the correct (only) way to remove that is install larger balls. Ford used to sell ball kits in 6 sizes, measured to 5 decimals. The problem now is they are NLA. I was fortunate to find a rebuilder who was good enough to sell me 2 sets of larger balls ( no jokes here guys!!) It took my boxes from 2" play to near zero. NOTE: The balls in these boxes are two different sizes and differentiated by color, one dark, one shiny.
And the fun continues!

Attachments

• S box balls.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0
This thread, although a bit long winded might help also.
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/saginaw-800-power-steering-box-rebuild.32082/

What has likely happened is the sector shaft is so badly worn and/or corroded that the seals no longer do their job.
Apart from the two boxes I did do a full rebuild on including turning the sector shaft to remove the damage, then having them hard chromed and re-ground, I have not been able to find a source for Saginaw repaired or new replacement sector shafts. This means if it looks like the one in this pic, your only choice will be to get it rebuilt by a professional shop or buy new.
The rest of a rebuild is doable for someone with mechanical skills as long as you follow the instructions or YouTube videos ( some are good, some are crap!)
The first two pics are a worn out sector shaft, third one is a repaired one.
If Saginaw installed a dirt seal similar to the one on the input shaft, this damage likely wouldn't happen.
Tools needed include a GOOD in/lb beam torque wrench that measures from 0 to ? in/lbs., a suitable adaptor and a "C" spanner, pic #4
Excellent info. Thx.

I think I will pull the box and try to decipher if the shaft is damaged then try to make a decision from there.

Box has to come out either way.

Also, the Ford manual for the 71 (and likely also the 72) covers the rebuilding and repair for the Saginaw 800 PS box.
There is one other major rebuild you might need to do and that is to change the balls in the rack screw/piston assembly. If you have a couple of inches free play on the steering wheel, the correct (only) way to remove that is install larger balls. Ford used to sell ball kits in 6 sizes, measured to 5 decimals. The problem now is they are NLA. I was fortunate to find a rebuilder who was good enough to sell me 2 sets of larger balls ( no jokes here guys!!) It took my boxes from 2" play to near zero. NOTE: The balls in these boxes are two different sizes and differentiated by color, one dark, one shiny.
And the fun continues!
That was the book I was looking at.

I was able to get my slack removed by tightening the adjustment a little over an 1/8 of a turn.

Only have 1000 miles total on the compete rebuild. Car sat for 34ish years.

The steering box and the idler arm are the only parts on the car I haven’t touched.

Ideally I want the Opentracker roller idler

Guess I need to find more parts to sell to fund repairs.

That and olight flashlights. Too many of them things.

That was the book I was looking at.

I was able to get my slack removed by tightening the adjustment a little over an 1/8 of a turn.

Only have 1000 miles total on the compete rebuild. Car sat for 34ish years.

The steering box and the idler arm are the only parts on the car I haven’t touched.

Ideally I want the Opentracker roller idler

Guess I need to find more parts to sell to fund repairs.

That and olight flashlights. Too many of them things.
It only takes time and money my friend, time and money.
A word of warning to you and everybody, The adjustment screw/nut on the top of the sector shaft is for setting preload only. While it is possible to remove some free play due to wear on the teeth, be VERY careful. To tight and the steering might stick one way or the other, trust me I know, been there done that! Almost ditched the car.
!/8 turn ought not to be a problem, but no more imho.
While I have no experience with them, the guys here seem to think RedHead is a good company to buy a new or rebuilt PS box.

It only takes time and money my friend, time and money.
A word of warning to you and everybody, The adjustment screw/nut on the top of the sector shaft is for setting preload only. While it is possible to remove some free play due to wear on the teeth, be VERY careful. To tight and the steering might stick one way or the other, trust me I know, been there done that! Almost ditched the car.
!/8 turn ought not to be a problem, but no more imho.
While I have no experience with them, the guys here seem to think RedHead is a good company to buy a new or rebuilt PS box.
Yes I watched a free videos on adjustment and went to tight, then backed off to original setting.

Then started over adjusting a very small amount and retesting.

I have -4.5 caster so it has a STRONG desire to return to center. :)

Yes I watched a free videos on adjustment and went to tight, then backed off to original setting.

Then started over adjusting a very small amount and retesting.

I have -4.5 caster so it has a STRONG desire to return to center. :)
That sounds good.
I was thinking of increasing the caster on mine from 3 degrees to 4.5, BUT without changing the UCL's my "guy" think it would put too much strain on the components and he advised against shimming, but would do it if I really wanted to do that. I'm on the fence.

That sounds good.
I was thinking of increasing the caster on mine from 3 degrees to 4.5, BUT without changing the UCL's my "guy" think it would put too much strain on the components and he advised against shimming, but would do it if I really wanted to do that. I'm on the fence.
Ya I went global west upper a arms with the Shelby drop and 3 degrees of caster built in.

Latest posts

Back